minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 50520_deleted, Jan 11, 2012.

1. 50520_deleted
    50520_deleted Member
    Hi,
    If the 3D model has engraving (like in jewlery) , what is the minimum width of that engraving if the model is silver or steel (or any metal you work with for that matter) ?

Is it possible to produce the model in two colors (silver and gold) ? I am thinking of use a silver core and covered with gold color material, the engraving can produce 2 colors...

Thanks,
    Was

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Please review the Silver Design Rules. That should answer your questions about depth/width.

Steel has separate design rules, and different limitations.

Gold is only offered as a plating option on steel, and no, you can't mix metals at this time.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Also, any "engraving" in the model won't show the stainless beneath the gold as it actually wouldn't be "engraved" it would be printed with the indentation and plated afterwards.

4. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    In the SS material the lower limit for "engraved" lines or grooves is about 1mm /.040" in width. The depth of the lines should not exceed about 1.5mm/ 060". Try to maintain this wdth./ dpth porportion no matter what size of groove use use.

I have often thought that narrow 3d printed lines (grooves) could be back filled with contrasting metals. This however would still need to be done by hand but, spectacular results would be possible. Contrasting solders could be flowed into grooves or pockets on the design then the surfaces ground down to an even plane. Small diameter wire of brass, copper, silver, or gold could be hammered into narrow groves with the same result.
    -G

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Shapeways stainless can be heat coloured and then raised areas ground/polished back to give good contrast - seeStainless Steel Dice - the gaps (note: gaps not engraving) are around 0.4mm.

6. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Gaps, lines, grooves will print at .4mm, maybe even finer than that. It's just that loose powder leftover from the print process can sometime remain lodged in random areas of the grooves making for less than perfect results. Also sometimes during bronze infiltration very narrow grooves can be drowned out. A lot depends on the overall design. A broad flat surface inscribed with a design or pattern composed of line widths less than .5mm is likely to have some flaws. Whether this is acceptable or not is up to the individual designer.
    -G

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Yes Glen, that's why I re-iterated gaps. You know me, pushing the boundaries and all that. Sorry, you know best working with the material every day (where's the green envious smiley ;))