Slight differing of online preview vs model, should I worry?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by 73601_deleted, Jan 11, 2012.

1. 73601_deleted
    73601_deleted Member
    Hi All

I just wanted to check in about a bit of a worry on the model I've put together and just ordered.

I'm getting a small mishap in a element of the model where two parts were fused together which appears fine in both 3ds and Accutrans. I've checked over the textures and can't see any reason why it would be happening so just wanted to get a second opinion.

Here's the model in Accutrans:

[​IMG]

But in the online preview, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

As I said, this is from where the 2 parts were joined together (there's a second minor glitch there on the other model too), but it should be fine and I'm hoping its just a glitch on the online previewer. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    How are they joined? if they just sit face to face, that'll cause issues. If they sit inside of each other, shapeways will fuse them with no problem. My guess is overlapping faces cause the geometry to change, effecting the mapping.

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    I don't get it - where are the two parts joined? Isn't this just a result of the viewing angle?

Bart

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Bart, it's a game of spot the difference - the hair on the one without the glasses - it also looks like the upper chest area of the one with glasses is a bit skewed ;)

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    Ok, it looks like Mesh Medic has tried to repair some geometry there and in the processes damaged the UV mapping. Do you agree?

In such a case, the only advice I can give is to manually fix the geometry.

Bart

6. 73601_deleted
    73601_deleted Member
    Hi guys,

Sorry for late response. Yeah, it did turn up in print, but on the plus side I managed to fix it with a bit of recolouring and I'll know better next time!

Attached Files: