Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » Create min wall thickness in Blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #41671] Wed, 11 January 2012 08:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar NovastarDesign  is currently offline NovastarDesign
Go to my shop
Hi you all !

Can someone help me out with a model im working on ? I have this model of the Skyrim pendant, and i got rejected because the min wall thickness for stainless steel (3mm) is not enough (probably on the neck and tail).

How can i create in Blender a min wall thickness of exactly 3 mm on that parts, without changing in dimensions of the pendant? It would be nice to make it hollow on the parts where the pendant is thicker, but can not figure it out in blender (in still learning on this program)
Hope someone can help me out !

This is the model:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/419681/skyrim_pendant.html?gi d=ug

Greetz Novastar
Re: Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #41707 is a reply to message #41671 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 21:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vanish  is currently offline vanish
Go to all my models
I know this isn't what you're asking for, but is this even legal?

My consideration here is that you may not have the right to recreate this because they have copyright on the symbol.

I'm curious about this because I always wanted to create shapeways printed spaceships form a popular game.
Re: Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #41714 is a reply to message #41707 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 23:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
probably you are right...
welcome to Napster 3.0

Re: Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #41726 is a reply to message #41714 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 03:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
to answer your question...
what i would do is...

make sure you have the latest version of blender downloaded.

in the users preference panel go to 3d view.

in 3d view there is a measurement panel that you must activate.

after you do this when you select the object and go to edit mode.

on the transform panel there is now a measurement button that must be activated.

from there you should be able to select a line and it will give you a distance.

or you could select 2 points and it will give you a distance.

i would use this distance to calculate how much to scale this thing up.

if you select the poly it will give you area... and if the object is water tight in object mode it will give you the volume...

this is very helpful in fixing size issues...

to speak to the copyright issue. it is a very thin line that you are balancing here. the key to the whole thing is whether you are making money off of the whole deal. shapeways is covered because it is essentially acting as an agent of the designer. so you as the designer are taking all of the risk. and if you are putting it out there for cost then you are not making any money off of it...

the sticky point here though is the potential for revenue... if it can be proven that your design kept the owner from making any money then you could be held liable for that amount...

i look at it this way. if i took a block of wood and whittled mickey mouse out of it i have used my talents as an artist to create something... but if i sell it that is when Disney gets involved.

at the end of the day it isn't whether you can do it but if you should. i prefer to come up with my own ideas...

chris

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #41929 is a reply to message #41726 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 09:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar macouno  is currently offline macouno
Go to my shop
Little tip... use the solidify modifier to test wall thickness... quick and dirty hack, but a good indicator.
Re: Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #42951 is a reply to message #41671 ] Sat, 28 January 2012 03:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar krcm0209  is currently offline krcm0209
Go to my shop
I want to order your Skyrim pendant, but the only material that appeals to me on the list at the moment is silver. But at $108, it's a bit too much for me. So, if there is any way you can make it hollow on some parts, to reduce the amount of silver needed, or figure out how to solve the issue with stainless steel, I would order it in a heartbeat.

Every time I find the key to success, someone changes the lock.
Re: Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #42999 is a reply to message #42951 ] Sat, 28 January 2012 22:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Blender does have some great tools, and tricks for creating models for 3D printers.
Display edge length is great for determining wall thickness
With solidify addon, you can create any thickness of interior walls you want.
Select non manifold (in edit mode) as well as select loose verts
You can scale in object mode to either keep same dimensions or give you a larger mesh to add fine details.
By default, a blender unit is divided 10 times. So if you consider a BU as 1 mm, upload it as that, will pretty much ease problems in uploads.
Plus all the other new addons will help nicely with creating/modifying meshes.
Ever have a question, go to #Blender on irc.Freenode. Usually several are in the room.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #43003 is a reply to message #42999 ] Sat, 28 January 2012 23:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
you are correct...

but the solidify isn't an add on-

it is in the root program and is better defined as a modifier(thank you MAX)

also

i find it much better to set the dimensions instead of guessing... a blender unit is just that... if you set the units to metric you will have no problems.
to that end you could also set it to inches if you want to- but we all know the important information such as wall thickness is set to metric...

that is all...

chris

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: Create min wall thickness in Blender [message #43020 is a reply to message #41671 ] Sun, 29 January 2012 10:18 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks everyone for your tips ! I think i managed to fix the model for stainless steel...

Previous Topic:Downloadable 3D models of asteroids from NASA
Next Topic:3D printer that uses ...paper?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.