Home »  » 3D Printing » Solid works assembly
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Solid works assembly [message #41552] Mon, 09 January 2012 22:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar Bren  is currently offline Bren
Go to all my models
Hello

I have two parts that I want to print as one, e.g. with moving parts. There are put together in solidworks using an assembly, but when I save it as an STL or step then try and upload it shapeways rejects it. When I open the STL file in solidworks it has the 2 parts separated.

So the question, is there a way to upload an assembly form solidworks to get printed as one part.

Thanks Bren

Re: Solid works assembly [message #41565 is a reply to message #41552 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 01:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
In Solidworks, when you select STL as your save-as option, you will see a button appear that says 'options'. Open that and check 'save all components of an assembly into a single file'.
Also, make certain your assembly parts are fully defined or you may experience strange behavior when saving to other file formats. I usually use 'fine' when outputting to an STL file, occasionaly I have to use 'course' on complex models. I have had rejections when using manual settings.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Solid works assembly [message #41597 is a reply to message #41552 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 09:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Bren  is currently offline Bren
Go to all my models
Thanks for your tip. In the end I just saved the assembly as a part then re-exported it as an stl file. This made it all one part.

Thanks Bren

Previous Topic:Fixing uploaded models
Next Topic:Material and method advice needed

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.