Home » Support » 3D Printing » Solid works assembly
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Solid works assembly [message #41552] Mon, 09 January 2012 22:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar Bren  is currently offline Bren
Go to all my models
Hello

I have two parts that I want to print as one, e.g. with moving parts. There are put together in solidworks using an assembly, but when I save it as an STL or step then try and upload it shapeways rejects it. When I open the STL file in solidworks it has the 2 parts separated.

So the question, is there a way to upload an assembly form solidworks to get printed as one part.

Thanks Bren

Re: Solid works assembly [message #41565 is a reply to message #41552 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 01:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
In Solidworks, when you select STL as your save-as option, you will see a button appear that says 'options'. Open that and check 'save all components of an assembly into a single file'.
Also, make certain your assembly parts are fully defined or you may experience strange behavior when saving to other file formats. I usually use 'fine' when outputting to an STL file, occasionaly I have to use 'course' on complex models. I have had rejections when using manual settings.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Solid works assembly [message #41597 is a reply to message #41552 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 09:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Bren  is currently offline Bren
Go to all my models
Thanks for your tip. In the end I just saved the assembly as a part then re-exported it as an stl file. This made it all one part.

Thanks Bren

Previous Topic:Fixing uploaded models
Next Topic:Material and method advice needed