Home » Support » 3D Design » Sketchup Plugin - please test!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41514] Mon, 09 January 2012 15:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi all,

I came across the two plugins for Google Sketchup:

Manifold

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?p=218691

From the description:

Quote:

When run...
It removes 'non-face/non-edge' entities.
It removes 'disconnected geometry'.
It removes 'unfaced-edges'.
It runs an initial 'health-check' and reports.
It removes face 'flaps'.
It heals 'holes'.
It removes 'internal faces'.
It orients all faces consistently to face 'outwards'.
It erases 'coplanar edges' [optional].
It 'triangulates' all of the faces [optional].
It highlights major errors.

Solid inspector

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=30 504

From the description:

Quote:

a tool that checks if Groups or Components are solids or not, highlighting holes or areas or errors.

They both sound quite useful. Are there any seasoned Sketchup users here who could give them a try and let me know how well it works for Shapeways?

Thanks!

Bart

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2012 15:07 UTC]

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41526 is a reply to message #41514 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 18:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
I couldn't use Sketchup for 3D printing without Solid Inspector...its a must-have, imo.

Manifold works on simple models, but not very well on anything where an automated solution would really help. I have yet to find any plugin for automatically fixing errors that works well - its seems to be hard for software to figure out what faces to keep, and which to delete...plus they can take a looooong time to run.

There is one plugin called Cleanup (by the same author as Solid Inspector, so its a good one) that is very useful to clean messy models, but it doesn't do all the work for you.

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41528 is a reply to message #41514 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 18:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It looks like you have to become a member to download the files.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
icon14.gif  Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41529 is a reply to message #41528 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 18:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, its a free membership, and the plugins are free as well

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41530 is a reply to message #41514 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 18:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kasss_Gnarl  is currently offline Kasss_Gnarl
Go to all my models
I too will reccommend the Solid Inspector plug-in, without it Sketchup would be near impossible to use for Shapeways.
Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41754 is a reply to message #41530 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 12:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks for your help!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41894 is a reply to message #41529 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
Not just free, but an extremely valuable resource. There are tons of tutorials, guides, plugins and active users.

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog
Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41895 is a reply to message #41894 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 21:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I should clarify, donations are gladly accepted by the authors of 'free' plugins. I make a practice of donating when using a plugin on a commercial/paid project.

For example, here's the donation page for Thomthom, the author of Solid Inspector.

http://www.thomthom.net/software/sketchup/cookieware/Cookieware.png

And yes, what twopounder said Smile

Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41920 is a reply to message #41895 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 04:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar OracleofWuffing  is currently offline OracleofWuffing
Go to my shop
I tried Manifold out on one of my Sketchup models in progress... Went outside to get some food, came back, and saw that Sketchup had crashed. Laughing At this point, I think an automatic manifold-creator is just one of those things that just isn't there yet. It's one of those areas where planning, effort, and prevention are better than a barrel of cure.
Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41923 is a reply to message #41514 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 06:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
The Solid Inspector seems to work okay, but I think it's giving false positives. It circles thin air and objects that don't appear to have any problems. I've run health checks and everything comes out fine.

It does help a lot with the problems it does find though.

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog
Re: Sketchup Plugin - please test! [message #41940 is a reply to message #41923 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 14:24 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I've never had a false positive...usually you have to zoom waay in to see the problem.

How do you run a health check?

Previous Topic:Too many shells?
Next Topic:Iphone case: base model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.