no colour in blender exports

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 132803_deleted, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I'm a bit new to all this 3D modelling stuff, and I'm having some problems with blender exports. when I take my .blend file, and export it into a wavefront obj file and upload it, all the colour is removed.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    thanks guys!
    (and gals)

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Hi CyberJacob,

Welcome to Shapeways! :)

No, you're doing nothing wrong. Currently Shapeways doesn't support colour obj files.

If Blender exports in x3d or vrml2.0, use either of those instead, otherwise, grab yourself a copy of Accutrans3D and you'll be able to convert the obj to vrml2.

You can find more info via the Tutorials and Exporting to VRML and X3D for color printing

Paul

3. it is actually better out of blender to export as a .DAE file

remember to properly prepare it by taking all the pieces and joining them together... this should work properly.

chris

4. ok, an x3d seems to make everything rediculusly large, and a dae gives me this error:

Code:
    The design could not be validated.

This means that we had problems recognizing your file. 9 times out of ten there is a super simple fix for this problem. Download Meshlab, a free and open source tool for fixing your designs. Open the file, save as STL and upload once more. This should fix your problem. This issue has to do with different 'dialects' of STL and we are working on a fix. 
    I'm on a mac if it helps (so no Accutrans3D)