Home » Support » 3D Design » no colour in blender exports
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
no colour in blender exports [message #41411] Sat, 07 January 2012 22:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar CyberJacob  is currently offline CyberJacob
Go to all my models
Hi all,
I'm a bit new to all this 3D modelling stuff, and I'm having some problems with blender exports. when I take my .blend file, and export it into a wavefront obj file and upload it, all the colour is removed.
Am I doing something wrong?
thanks guys!
(and gals)
Re: no colour in blender exports [message #41419 is a reply to message #41411 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 01:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi CyberJacob,

Welcome to Shapeways! Smile

No, you're doing nothing wrong. Currently Shapeways doesn't support colour obj files.

If Blender exports in x3d or vrml2.0, use either of those instead, otherwise, grab yourself a copy of Accutrans3D and you'll be able to convert the obj to vrml2.

You can find more info via the Tutorials and Exporting to VRML and X3D for color printing

Paul
Re: no colour in blender exports [message #41430 is a reply to message #41419 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 07:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
it is actually better out of blender to export as a .DAE file

remember to properly prepare it by taking all the pieces and joining them together... this should work properly.

chris

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: no colour in blender exports [message #41448 is a reply to message #41411 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 13:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar CyberJacob  is currently offline CyberJacob
Go to all my models
ok, an x3d seems to make everything rediculusly large, and a dae gives me this error:

The design could not be validated.

This means that we had problems recognizing your file. 9 times out of ten there is a super simple fix for this problem. Download Meshlab, a free and open source tool for fixing your designs. Open the file, save as STL and upload once more. This should fix your problem. This issue has to do with different 'dialects' of STL and we are working on a fix. 

I'm on a mac if it helps (so no Accutrans3D)

Previous Topic:Tiny chess set?
Next Topic:Trouble with file size for high detail model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.