Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Need help fixing pendant model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need help fixing pendant model [message #41344] Fri, 06 January 2012 23:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar ryanmac97  is currently offline ryanmac97
Go to all my models
So, basically I designed a pendant and ordered it. However, before it went into production it was rejected because there were "multiple shells where there shouldn't be". I have tried various programmes, but because I have only started 3D modelling I could not fix the problem. I'm sure to many this is a particularly easy fix; so I have uploaded the file here and hope someone can fix it for me.
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Ryan McCafferty

• Attachment: Rose.dae
    (Size: 272.84KB, Downloaded 31 time(s))

Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41345 is a reply to message #41344 ] Fri, 06 January 2012 23:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Welcome to Shapeways, Ryan!

I imported your model into Sketchup and found some errors, mostly reversed faces and interior geometry. I'm guessing that you're using Sketchup - if so, take a look at this thread where I helped another user fix his model with the same problems, and see if you can figure it out from there.

If you still need help, just post back here, and someone will get you taken care of!

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41348 is a reply to message #41345 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 00:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well, thanks Marcus! Very Happy
So, I had a quick runthrough of the thread, and I've got to work fixing the reversed faces. I'm afraid I don't completely understand the interior geometry, is that unnecessary shapes and lines inside the model? If so, is it simply a matter of deleting them? I must say, I have to commend you on such a speedy reply to a topic made not five minutes ago!
Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41352 is a reply to message #41348 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 02:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, just delete the interior stuff. Basically there should be no geometry inside the model - it needs to be a complete shell with no holes to the outside.

Think of your model as an empty container for your 3D print. Anything inside your container will interfere with the print.

Re the speedy reply...sigh, I have no life Sad Laughing

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41380 is a reply to message #41352 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 14:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Hi Ryan,
Another SketchUp user here.
Just a tip, to see inside the model using the "Hide" function is good. Right click on a face and click Hide, then when you're done deleting the unnecessary stuff inside, go to Edit>Unhide All/Last.
Hope this helps, and look forward to seeing your prints,
Tom.
Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41389 is a reply to message #41352 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 17:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks marcus, I would never have known how to fix the pendant otherwise Very Happy
So, should fixing the reversed faces and deleting the internal geometry fix the 'loose' shells?
Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41390 is a reply to message #41389 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 17:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for that tip, Tom! Smile
I usually have to delete the face to look inside, and it can take some time to replace them all one by one! Confused

If it was funny, of course I meant it. If not, it was a "social experiment".
Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41391 is a reply to message #41389 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, that should take care of it. If not, the Solid Inspector plugin will find any other mistakes.

Another trick (besides hiding faces) is to Edit>Cut a face (or several faces), then Edit> Paste in Place to replace it. This is useful if you have hidden geometry turned on.

Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41418 is a reply to message #41391 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 01:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
So, everything should be fine and dandy now, but I'll upload the .dae file just incase. Netfabb fixed some issues that remained after reversing faces and deleting the internal geometry, like a hole or two and some 'bad orientations'(?). But thanks a lot marcus Laughing

Re: Need help fixing pendant model [message #41453 is a reply to message #41418 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 14:58 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Well, I get a few error messages where you have lines that are shared by more than 2 faces. By definition, a "Solid" manifold mesh has lines that are shared by EXACTLY 2 faces.

If you look at the pic you can see some of the errors (there are 9 total, all the same error). You'll need to move those points apart ever so slightly, or connect them by more than a single line. I'll let you figure out the best way to do that. Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=13177&private=0

• Attachment: error01.JPG
    (Size: 79.58KB, Downloaded 108 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 08 January 2012 14:59 UTC]

Previous Topic:Baked in displacements
Next Topic:Hello, I'm looking for someone convert my 2d cad to 3d

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.