Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » It arrived! » 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41343] Fri, 06 January 2012 23:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar rcshop  is currently offline rcshop
Go to my shop
Over the holidays, I received my prototype fully 3D printed Multirotor Aircraft Frame.

Every thing was printed on Shapeways, except for the mounting hardware and electronics, of course.index.php?t=getfile&id=13101&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=13102&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=13103&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=13104&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=13105&private=0

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2012 00:10 UTC]

Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41379 is a reply to message #41343 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 14:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Cool, looks good.
What is that board, something like an Arduino using an accelerometer?
Thanks,
Tom.
Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41420 is a reply to message #41379 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 01:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It's a ArduPilotMega (APM), for the Arducopter. The blue board you see is the IMU board sitting on top of the APM that under it. It's got accelerometers, gyros, gps, and magnetometer.
If youre interested, check out diydrones.com

I have a blog there, if you want more information:
http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/blogs/introducing-firefly -mark-one-first-3d-designed-and-printable-quad?commentId=705 844%3AComment%3A750963&xg_source=msg_com_blogpost

I plan to make the frame available for sale soon, in this shop.

Cheers!
Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41444 is a reply to message #41420 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 11:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Hi, thanks for that, looks like a good bit of kit.
I've bookmarked the site, looks good.
Thanks,
Tom.
Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41473 is a reply to message #41444 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 21:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks! I'll post an update and PM, when I'm ready to put it on sale. Should come in just under $100 for the kit. All that's needed to complete the kit is some mounting hardware and the electronics.
Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41539 is a reply to message #41343 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 20:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar InCrafting  is currently offline InCrafting
Go to my shop
this is what I've always dreamed to have Smile I'd really like to see it flying. By the way, do you have any estimates as to how much the motors and electronics would cost?
Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41546 is a reply to message #41539 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 21:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
InCrafting wrote on Mon, 09 January 2012 20:26

this is what I've always dreamed to have Smile I'd really like to see it flying. By the way, do you have any estimates as to how much the motors and electronics would cost?

My motors are in the mail, so hope to be flying in a couple of weeks. Flight video to be added, once I get it going.

Check out my blog on DiYDrones for a detail list of electronics.

http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/blogs/introducing-firefly -mark-one-first-3d-designed-and-printable-quad?commentId=705 844%3AComment%3A750963&xg_source=msg_com_blogpost

The 4 motors and speed controllers should cost about $50. Depending on what flight control board you use, it could range from $60 to $200. DiYDrones store has a new board now that is $199, and has everything you need for autopiloting the craft here:

https://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_0_Kit_p/br-ardupilotmega-0 3.htm

Or you can get a very basic one, with gyros only:

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=vieweng&mc_ selected=MultiCopter&sc_selected=KKMulticopter&sn=fl ycam_blue&id_no=93

Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41554 is a reply to message #41343 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 22:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
thanks for the reply. Seems to be quite pricey in comparison to the one by parrot ( http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-AR-Drone-Quadricopter-Controlle d-Android/dp/B003ZVSHB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8 &qid=1326148772&sr=1-1)

update: actually the end price would be about the same, but without ability to control it via smartphone's accelerometer (if I understood it correctly)

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2012 22:45 UTC]

Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41566 is a reply to message #41554 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 02:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
InCrafting wrote on Mon, 09 January 2012 22:43

thanks for the reply. Seems to be quite pricey in comparison to the one by parrot ( http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-AR-Drone-Quadricopter-Controlle d-Android/dp/B003ZVSHB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8 &qid=1326148772&sr=1-1)

update: actually the end price would be about the same, but without ability to control it via smartphone's accelerometer (if I understood it correctly)

These are two different class of quads. The Parrot is very user friendly, but not an open system that can be reprogrammed. Good for indoor flying in close proximity to the phone. The phone is actually a limitation.

The Arducopter controller I recommended has onboard accelerometer, and gyros for stabilization, with built in electronic compass for heading lock. It's got GPS for defining autonomous mission waypoints, and barometer for high altitude hold. Two different class of quadcopter really. The firmware is open sourced, so you can tinker, if so inclined.

You can also go the low end route and get the KKmulti board, for $100 (or cheaper) and just have gyros.

From a frame point of view, I can add all the mount points for the Parrot Drone parts, and mount them on my frame, once the foam falls apart. Laughing

That's the beauty of using 3D printers!
Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #41635 is a reply to message #41566 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 20:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
rcshop wrote on Tue, 10 January 2012 02:06

autonomous mission waypoints, and barometer for high altitude hold

wow.. now it sounds much cooler to me!! Rolling Eyes
Re: 3D Printed Multirotor Aircraft [message #42665 is a reply to message #41635 ] Tue, 24 January 2012 20:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Ok folks, I have successfully flow a version of this frame.

Here's a video on the first flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAg4sKyz_pg

More details including parts list to complete the build is in this blog on DiYDrones:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/first-flight-of-3d-print ed-firefly-mark-one-quadcopter-frame

PM me if you are interested in building this amazing aircraft, and need to know where to start.

Cheers,
Ellison

Previous Topic:africa#ceramic and lillyseed#02
Next Topic:Colored Polyhedra