Design rule change: WSF Minimum Bounding Box

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 65166_deleted, Jan 5, 2012.

1. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Hey guys,

We've been having some issues with bounding box for Strong & Flexible models (white, color, polished). The current minimums does not allow for really thin and flat items (think: pole structures, pendants). The reason is we ask for a minimum 2.5x2.5x.2.5mm bounding box so items don't get lost in the handling process. Now obviously, something with bounding box of 2x20x20mm bounding box would not get lost when sorting.

So we propose to implement a system where the bounding box as to add up to 7.5mm (similar to how we handle Ceramics and Full Color Sandstone) though each dimension has to be at least 0.7mm (the min wall thickness).

This should help handling while enabling more designs for you guys.

If there are no concerns, we'll implement this next week.

Thanks!
    Nancy

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. 35112_deleted
    35112_deleted Member
    Great move.

I was dreading always having to add tiny poles to the corners of large but flat models I'm working on just to get them up to the minimum dimension of 2.5mm in every plane. I tried it out on a model I ordered last week, and it had been accepted for printing in in WSF, but glad I won't have to do it again!

Andrew

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Well for the time being you could rotate long objects to increase the bounding box in the desired plane. Example --- <small y value / < y value increased by rotation. If that makes sense. I'd make a better visual but don't have the time at the moment.

4. 35112_deleted
    35112_deleted Member
    Youknowwho4eva

Get what you're suggesting. I had thought of that, but then realised that increased the chance of large flat items not being printed horizontal or vertical in the printer, increasing the risk of layering artefacts appearing on the final model. Hope that makes sense?

Andrew

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Hi Nancy,

Thanks for catching up with this issue, unfortunately it's come too late for one of my customers wanting to take advantage of the WSF discount last week.

Is there any reason why a sheet of chain maille previously printed in WSF is no longer available in WSF but still available in the other S&F variations?

Cheers,
    Paul

6. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    This is one of the issues we are addressing. The bounding boxes between the strong & flexible colors are inconsistent due to design rule changes and having different production partners with different guidelines. The new guidelines is standardized across all of our production partners as well as in house production though, so you should see more consistent rules applied.

7. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay. This rule will go into affect tomorrow! Thanks for all your feedback.

Nancy

8. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Cool, thanks Nancy :)

Will models that had WSF disabled automatically have WSF enabled again?

Cheers,
    Paul

9. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Yes, I believe so! Also, this change will affect ALL Strong & Flexible models (so colors + polished).