Home » Support » 3D Printing » Unexpected ridge on printed parts
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Unexpected ridge on printed parts [message #41041] Mon, 02 January 2012 06:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar fasaxc  is currently offline fasaxc
Go to my shop
Hi,

Some of the models I recently had printed came with an unexpected ridge on some of the flat faces. Here's an example:

index.php?t=getfile&id=13052&private=0

The ridge doesn't appear in my original SketchUp file (which I exported to stl via the stl plugin) and I can't see it in the 3D render of my pieces: http://www.shapeways.com/model/411990/carcassonne_accessory_ pieces.html?gid=ug

Overall, I can live with the defect but it'd be good to know if there's something wrong with the 3D model I made or whether I should expect that sort of defect even if the model was OK.

Thanks,

-Shaun

• Attachment: DSC_9781.JPG
    (Size: 254.26KB, Downloaded 139 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 02 January 2012 06:05 UTC]

Re: Unexpected ridge on printed parts [message #41061 is a reply to message #41041 ] Mon, 02 January 2012 14:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
This means that the flat face was printed at a slight angle to the build plate and it is a normal defect.
This could be because the production people wrongly oriented the part but they usually shouldn't do that. It probably is because you drew the face a at a slight angle, try to check in your software that it is aligned with the axis system.
Re: Unexpected ridge on printed parts [message #41069 is a reply to message #41061 ] Mon, 02 January 2012 16:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar fasaxc  is currently offline fasaxc
Go to my shop
Ah, that sounds plausible. The opposite side isn't 100% flat by design so if they oriented using that then it'd end up printed at a slight angle.

Previous Topic:Material weight?
Next Topic:Stainless Steel Accuracy?