Scuptris to Shapeways

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Youknowwho4eva, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    An instruction sheet for creating colored items in Scuptris and getting them uploaded to Shapeways. In case anyone was wondering :D

sculptris instructions.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I'm pretty sure you can skip the Blender stage...

Upload the OBJ straight to shapeways - OBJ has all the colors data inside - no need to convert to textures.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    I tried that with no luck. On the upload page it doesn't include OBJ for color models. And if it had the color data wouldn't it already have the color when opened in blender?

4. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I tried it now too.. you're right .. i recall Bart said shapeways accepts OBJ but without the colors data..

Cool guide.

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Text is wrong, you mean Blender 2.49 and 2.59. ^_^ The 1.x series is really old.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    You are right, I'll have to fix that.

Edit: Fixed Thanks

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Nice tutorial.

You might be able to save the 'Blender' time by importing the .obj into Accutrans3D and then export as VRML2.0... Accutrans also has options to scale and more importantly truncate the UV map filename ready for zipping.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    More than one way to skin a cat, or a 3D model in this case :laughing: . This was just the easiest way for me using what I know, and what I was able to get to work.