Home »  » 3D Printing » accurately printable dimensions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
accurately printable dimensions [message #40630] Thu, 22 December 2011 08:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar Monguse  is currently offline Monguse
Go to all my models
I'm a first-time designer on a steep learning curve with Rhino 3d 4.0 . Shapeways is in the offing for my prototype.

The model I'm designing in Rhino has a few oddball dimensions i.e. 13.28 mm. or 7.09mm.

Can the 3d printing process render these fractional dimensions accurately? What is the thickness of one deposited layer in the 3d printing process using the Ultra Detail materials option?

How flexible is the Ultra Detail UV Curable Acrylic Plastic? Could it be used for an annular circular snap fit (like a child-proof aspirin bottle? Would it also be suitable as both the male and female bushing/bearing part of an occasionally slowly rotating cylinder? Or would other materials be better for either application?

Some of the tolerances between the moving parts (bearing bushing) are fractions of a millimeter ( less than .2mm). I intend to have the parts printed separately without sprues.

What is the best file format for 3d printing? Rhino offers many "save as" options.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay
Re: accurately printable dimensions [message #40633 is a reply to message #40630 ] Thu, 22 December 2011 11:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Hi Jay.

Welcome to Shapeways! Smile

Frosted Detail (FD) & Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) are printed using a Projet 3000 HD printer, the full technical spec can be found here (904k pdf), the accuracy is pretty fine.

Being acrylic, FUD is fairly brittle so I wouldn't recomment it for parts that might need flexing as it may break the first or second time it was flexed. White Strong & Flexible (WSF) might be a better choice, but the print tolerances are nowhere near as fine as FUD.

As a bushing lubricated with some PTFE/silicone oil I should think that FUD would be ok as long as the mesh making up the shapes has polys in the region of 0.05-0.1mm - my experience is that bigger polys leaves the printer to approximate the surface resulting in stepping.

FUD can be printed as a multipart model, but depending on the geometry spacing between parts, the parts may need to be 0.15 to 0.2mm (or more) for the support wax to melt out.

I've no experience with Rhino, perhaps someone else can jump in on that.

Paul
Re: accurately printable dimensions [message #40648 is a reply to message #40633 ] Thu, 22 December 2011 18:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Monguse  is currently offline Monguse
Go to all my models
Thanks, Paul,
I appreciate the information. Sounds like the more flexible material would be good for an annular snap fit and the FUD would be best for the bearing/bushing.

Jay

Previous Topic:Multiple Materials
Next Topic:How do I define the size of an object?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.