Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Thickness for figurine shell
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Thickness for figurine shell [message #40395] Sat, 17 December 2011 01:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar steeveesas  is currently offline steeveesas
Go to all my models
I hope I don't hated on too much for this posting asking a probably commonly asked question, but I didn't find the exact answer I was looking for in the forums while searching.

I know that the minimum wall thickness for WSF is .7mm. However I remember reading a while back that for larger objects you want to make it thicker if it needs to support weight and at that time the WSF minimum wall thickness was greater than .7 I think, but I forget what it was.

Anyhow to the question: I have a figure with arms and legs and a body with holes in the feet. I was going to make a shell with Blender. The figure is about 14x17x8cm (bounding box). What is the minimum thickness to keep this structurally strong? Would 1mm work? 2mm? 3mm?

Any experience from you guys?

Thanks!

all dolled up in straps
Re: Thickness for figurine shell [message #40402 is a reply to message #40395 ] Sat, 17 December 2011 03:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
For larger models see here http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/wsf_bigparts

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Thickness for figurine shell [message #40403 is a reply to message #40402 ] Sat, 17 December 2011 03:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar steeveesas  is currently offline steeveesas
Go to all my models
Oh perfect! Thank you!

all dolled up in straps

Previous Topic:Printing in black&white
Next Topic:Displacement maps?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.