Home » Community » It arrived! » Fossil evolution
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Fossil evolution [message #40213] Wed, 14 December 2011 08:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar DarrenAbbey  is currently offline DarrenAbbey
Go to my shop
I've been working on a model of my favorite fossil creature, Wiwaxia corrugata. I've had this design successfully made in stainless steel, but this one is in polished WSF. It turned out great.index.php?t=getfile&id=12649&private=0

This newer version incorporates more of the features which make it such a cool creature. This design couldn't get made in SS, the spines are likely to break off during handling of the green stage print, but it turned out great in polished WSF.index.php?t=getfile&id=12650&private=0

I'm working on a further version which better matches the fossils.

• Attachment: IMG_4794.jpg
    (Size: 53.12KB, Downloaded 517 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_4793.jpg
    (Size: 57.10KB, Downloaded 528 time(s))

Re: Fossil evolution [message #40227 is a reply to message #40213 ] Wed, 14 December 2011 14:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
nice, the evolution of your models could make a cool series itself. keep sharing.

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Fossil evolution [message #40316 is a reply to message #40227 ] Thu, 15 December 2011 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I agree. I may even produce a set of intermediates between the versions I've been making, to show/suggest how the transformations between them would be made.
Re: Fossil evolution [message #40393 is a reply to message #40316 ] Sat, 17 December 2011 01:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
I've really enjoyed watching this project develop. Showed it some love in Friday Finds this week. Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Fossil evolution [message #40525 is a reply to message #40393 ] Tue, 20 December 2011 05:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
I've really enjoyed watching the various iterations of this project as well. Dorkily (and shamefully) enough, I can't help looking at this little guy as a pokemon. Looking up info on the real creature has been interesting, though, so it would be quite cool if you offered miniature (possibly FUD?) prints of your final design when the project reaches maturity. :)
Re: Fossil evolution [message #40530 is a reply to message #40525 ] Tue, 20 December 2011 06:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
In FUD they're about the right size, but are rather delicate due to the thinness of the scales/spines.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to translate what little is known of their color to the final presentation. How do you paint on iridescent?

Re: Fossil evolution [message #40532 is a reply to message #40530 ] Tue, 20 December 2011 07:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
The lacquer/thinner mixing described here seems like a slight possibility, but I don't have too much experience with that sort of thing, so I don't know how applicable it would be to this kind of material without causing it to break down or something unexpected.

Previous Topic:Helping Hand
Next Topic:Nyan cat 4 piece figurine collection

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.