Home » Support » 3D Printing » Full validation before first purchase
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Full validation before first purchase [message #39827] Mon, 05 December 2011 05:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar GeoBling  is currently offline GeoBling
Go to my shop
There seem to be two validation steps when selling objects on Shapeways: First the file gets validated on upload, and then again after ordering. We recently had one of our country shapes pass the upload validation, but after putting in the order and paying, we received an email saying that the item cannot be printed.

Is there a way to get the full validation before ordering? We have a few shapes where we are pushing the design guidelines a little (with stainless steel) and would like to know if what we are doing is printable without having to order it. Is that possible?
Re: Full validation before first purchase [message #39835 is a reply to message #39827 ] Mon, 05 December 2011 14:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The first validation is a basic validation. It checks the file to see if it's printable (or if mesh medic can fix it), and it checks the bounding box to see what materials it's available in. The second check, when ordering, is for wall thickness, and other problems that may arise in printing. This is a manual check which is why it's only done at the time of order, and isn't as quick. Software is in development to be able to co a full check of your files at upload.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Full validation before first purchase [message #39859 is a reply to message #39835 ] Tue, 06 December 2011 05:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GeoBling  is currently offline GeoBling
Go to my shop
Can I send somebody a file to do the manual check? If it passes I know I can generate other files of the same style, if not I'll have to figure out something else.
Re: Full validation before first purchase [message #39865 is a reply to message #39827 ] Tue, 06 December 2011 13:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Right now the only way to do that is to order. You could try contacting service@shapeways.com they may be able to check without ordering.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Full validation before first purchase [message #39880 is a reply to message #39865 ] Tue, 06 December 2011 17:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey GeoBling,

When you upload the model there is the option to manually fix the file if there are errors.

This may help fix files but not help you learn where the issues are.

Kind regards.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 December 2011 17:27 UTC]

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Full validation before first purchase [message #39959 is a reply to message #39827 ] Thu, 08 December 2011 09:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
In the past, I have simply uploaded a model and asked Shapeways CS to take a look and get back to me with their opinion as to the printability - not that I'd recommend doing this too often as it adds to their workload. Also, sometimes, it is Shapeways production partners who have the final say as to the printability.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2011 09:28 UTC]

Previous Topic:Earrings pair rejected for having "2 parts"
Next Topic:Help Support ! Problems with a pendant !

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.