Home » Support » 3D Printing » Printing multiple objects (stupid question)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing multiple objects (stupid question) [message #39776] Sat, 03 December 2011 04:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar jpamment  is currently offline jpamment
Go to all my models
Hiya,

I'm about to try my first print, and I have some questions...

I need 3 objects needing printing, 2 of them will have multiple copies (up to 20.) Should I just copy them 20 times and tidily lay them out in the same 3D scene? Is there anything i should keep in mind when doing this? I understand that it all needs to fit into a bounding box of 70x38x58cm.

Cheers
Re: Printing multiple objects (stupid question) [message #39779 is a reply to message #39776 ] Sat, 03 December 2011 09:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
jpamment wrote on Sat, 03 December 2011 04:27

(...)
I need 3 objects needing printing, 2 of them will have multiple copies (up to 20.) Should I just copy them 20 times and tidily lay them out in the same 3D scene? Is there anything i should keep in mind when doing this?
(...)

Connect them with sprues, so Shapeways' staff can handle them as single item.
Re: Printing multiple objects (stupid question) [message #39786 is a reply to message #39776 ] Sat, 03 December 2011 14:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar henryseg  is currently offline henryseg
Go to my shop
If you're printing in WSF, above a certain volume of material there's a discount for densities over 10% (volume of material / volume of bounding box). So you might see if you can tightly pack them so as to get that discount.
Re: Printing multiple objects (stupid question) [message #39808 is a reply to message #39776 ] Sun, 04 December 2011 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I depends on the material, and the size of the items. Tiny items in any of the plastics, do as said above. For any of the other materials, It'll have to be individual files (it can be done in stainless, but 3mm of stainless sprue on 20 pieces could be interesting to cut.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2011 18:27 UTC]

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Printing multiple objects (stupid question) [message #39824 is a reply to message #39776 ] Mon, 05 December 2011 02:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jpamment  is currently offline jpamment
Go to all my models
Thanks for the reply,

Seems i'll only be doing 4 copies of one model, using WSF. I'll attempt to use sprues to connect them. If there is a great example of that it'd be great, otherwise i'll keep trawling the forum for examples.

Cheers!

[Updated on: Mon, 05 December 2011 02:45 UTC]

Re: Printing multiple objects (stupid question) [message #39830 is a reply to message #39824 ] Mon, 05 December 2011 08:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Small items attached to a bearer

Motor adjustment via shapeways

Previous Topic:Lens moulds
Next Topic:Best Software to generate models for 3D color printing