New community feedback tool: UserVoice!

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by bartv, Dec 2, 2011.

1. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi all,

People have been reporting bugs and feature suggestions on the forum for a while now and this has been amazingly helpful to us. At the same time it was not always easy to figure out what you think are the most important issues, or to give proper feedback once things were fixed. We want to communicate with you better than that.

So: we're excited to announce our new feedback system, UserVoice. It will make it much easier for everyone to submit bugs or feature requests, and to see what we're working on at any given moment.

Please take a moment to read how it works before jumping in:

What does it do?
    [list type=disc]
    [*] UserVoice is divided into three sections, 'Bugs & Problems', 'Suggestions: 3D Printing' and 'Suggestions: Website'.
    [*] Anyone can enter a bug or feature request or 'vote' on an item that already exists. A vote indicates that you care about an issue and think that we should really work on it.
    [*] You get 10 'votes' and you can spend 1, 2 or 3 votes on an issue. Reporting an issue requires you to assign at least one vote to the issue.
    [*] Once an issue is closed (either solved or declined), you'll get your vote points back.
    [*] The reason that we have a limited number of votes is that this forces everyone to think carefully about which issues are really important to them.
    [/list]
    Please note that UserVoice is meant only for bugs and features which affect the whole community. It is not meant for customer support requests! Please mail service@shapeways.com with any questions about your orders.

How to use it

First, please check if your idea is already in the list. You can use either the search option or just enter your idea in the box titled 'please describe your suggestion here' - a list of matching existing ideas will be shown.

For new ideas, describe your idea as accurately as you can. In case of a bug, please state clearly which part of the website the issue has surfaced on, and mention all the required steps to replicate the issue. Include URLs where possible.

For existing ideas, check the description and comments and add your own comment to the discussion if required. Also, you can leave 1-3 votes to indicate the importance of this issue to you.

Note: UserVoice is an external service and you have to create an account to use it. We'll work on full site integration in the next few weeks so you'll only have to log in once. Please use the same email address as what you use for your regular Shapeways account, so we can properly connect your Shapeways account to your UserVoice account once the 'single sign-on' is in place.

What happens after you submit an idea?

We treat bugs and feature suggestions differently: bugs are things that are broken and should be fixed, while feature suggestions will have to be matched to our longer-term plans and vision. In both cases we'll use the number of votes to select the most urgent issues to look at. Priority doesn't guarantee the order in which we work though - sometimes it makes sense to do something else first if our developers are working in that area anyway, for example.

Especially with feature suggestions we may sometimes decide that we will not implement something. But, no matter what we decide, we'll make sure you receive a clear response.

Special thanks!

Special thanks go to our dedicated team of community beta testers! Over the last few weeks they've given us a lot of useful feedback, and moved all existing issues from the forum into UserVoice.

Magic, Stonysmith, Stop4stuff, Virtox and Youknowwho4eva - you're the best!!

Ready?

Here's the link: https://feedback.shapeways.com

Enjoy, and thanks!

Ana & Bart

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    great tool but considering the number of bugs there are. I think you may want to double the number of votes allowed so people can keep reporting new bugs they find.

3. mctrivia
    bug list since I have no points to post:

1)link in uservoice emails does not lead to threads
    2)reducing point count says i have 1 point left but still will not let post a new bug.

4. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    @mctrivia: Thanks, time will tell how they will need to tweak the tool.
    For now the 10 votes is to make sure the most bugging issues are dealt with first.

If you feel a new item you want to post is important, you can retract your vote from another issue.

Just discovered you can add a new item and retract your vote leaving the item with 0 votes, but you can vote on it later.

Regarding your issues:
    1) I can not reproduce, links work for me, takes me right to the issue/thread.
    2) Also cannot reproduce, with one vote, left I could still post an idea.

Can you provide more info where things go wrong for you?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. mctrivia
    1) works for me also now on new emails.
    2) is probably because I have 15 votes. Must be why I never saw vote limit before they added it later probably and it does not check at removal that removing 1 is still more then limit.

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    The login credentials stop working in that site? Is that normal (non shared data) or bug (the system can not link them)?

7. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey stannum, we don't yet have single signon enabled. In the coming weeks we'll roll that out, and then you'll be able to use your Shapeways account credentials on Uservoice.

For now, we ask that you create a new account for UV, but use the same email address as you do for Shapeways, so that we can merge them soon.

8. 64203_deleted
    64203_deleted Member
    I tried to login and post a bug to UserVoice, but I always get Invalid password.
    Of course, I did NOT type a password, as there is NO BOX to type in a password!

How does one sign up or log in? I have had a shop on shapeways for many months, named: Gifts By Gillie

Richard

9. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Shouldn't there be a difference between Bugs and Improvements in voting.

Improvements: the most wanted changes
    (long term. therefore the votes may be a sufficient choice)

Bugs: the severity of a bug. Can I live with it or is a correction immedeatly needed.
    (that's more short handed and changes day by day)

From my point of view a class (1,2,3) without restriction would do the best since it gives your planning a good choice to decide what are the most painful topics.
    For sure that needs some discipline of the voters.
    (OK: Maybe that can also be solved with votes characterizing that as the 10 most painful topics. But for sure should be separated from enhancements)

Woody64

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Woody,

be assured that we are monitoring the 'bugs' section closely and if anything urgent pops up we'll handle it immediately, regardless of the number of votes.

Bart

11. My wish list for Shapeways 2012:

1. Be able to upload multiple files at once.
    2. Be able to order multiple models at once (select and assign a material to all)
    3. Nickel plated finish option for stainless steel.

Anyone agree?

Jeff Gordon
    Flash Gordon Designs
    www.flashgordondesigns.com

12. mctrivia
    1&2 Yes.
    3 Would rather see gold electroformed FUD. High detail metal parts :)

13. bartv
    bartv Member
  14. 64203_deleted
    64203_deleted Member
    I'd like to put suggestion on https://feedback.shapeways.com/ but I can NOT login!

As mentioned on Dec 23:
    I always get Invalid password.
    Of course, I did NOT type a password, as there is NO BOX to type in a password!

How does one sign up or log in? I have had a shop on shapeways for many months, named: Gifts By Gillie

Richard

15. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Richard, once you type in your name, try clicking off of the input box. It should check for that user name, put a check next to it, then ask for your password.

16. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    You can also simply hit TAB after typing in your name.

17. bartv
    bartv Member
    Richard, please let me know if you continue to have problems with this.

Bart

18. 64203_deleted
    64203_deleted Member
    I'm on a Mac, using Firefox and Safari, neither works! They behave differently.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7

On Firefox, I enter my email address and hit TAB. The "sign up" button is enabled. I click it and get the bad password error. Clicking outside the "enter email" box does nothing.

Safari: Version 5.0 (5533.16)

Safari behaves the same way right now. I did see a different behavior a little while ago. After entering my email address, a TAB opens another box that says "enter your name". Clicking "Sign Up" gives bad password error. I think I saw this behavior firefox, at least once, several days ago.

If I remember correctly, there was a message under the "enter you name" box that said something like: "you will receive an email how to set up a password" I never received that email.

I used me email address on my "Gifts By Gillie" shop account richard@uschold.us

Richard

19. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I just tried with a different email on FF8 WinXP with no issue. I typed my email, clicked off, it asked for my name, typed that and clicked off and then clicked on sign up. Less than a minute later I had the email. I'd check your spam folder.

20. 64203_deleted
    64203_deleted Member
    I went back to my OLD win XP and tried:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060414

No name box appeared. I clicked "Sign Up" and got NO error, but NO email either.

I also tried Internet Explorer: This did give me a name box, but no email.

I checked spam folders, no relevant email there either.

In any event, working on Windows is not an option. I need it to work on my mac.

Richard