Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » General Discussion » FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY [message #39354] Mon, 28 November 2011 09:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar amph  is currently offline amph
Go to all my models
Hi everyone !!!

After a hard work of conceptualizing, 3d modeling, and digital sculpting I have my art toy finished and ready for 3d printing, but I have a crucial question:

What it's the best choice in terms of material for a 4 inch piece, that its' slightly detailed and i need a smooth surface (more or less) for silicone RTv molding and resin casting.
I bet is FUD, but i have been reading really bad experiences with the prints (printing lines,etc...)
In the other hand, I think white detail can be nice if FUD problems are not solved. I read the machine for white detail is the Objet Eden 500 v (it seems an xcellent machine)

Soo....What I can choose??!!! Any suggestions???

Cheers from Spain!!!!
Re: FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY [message #39377 is a reply to message #39354 ] Mon, 28 November 2011 15:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar swbarrett  is currently offline swbarrett
Go to all my models
Sorry,
I don't have your answer because I came in here to ask the same question. After perusing the forum and reading about the issues with FUD I went ahead and ordered my first test print in WD. If the resolution is decent, it'll be right off to my casting guy on Jeweler's Row to see how he feels about molding it to be cast in silver.

Anyway I'll also be eagerly watching this thread.

- Sean
Re: FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY [message #39382 is a reply to message #39354 ] Mon, 28 November 2011 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Try posting a message in the Post Production Techniques forum and make your title relevant. i.e. "What's the best material for RTV molding?" You'll get more response that way. Also, search the forums for this topic since many people have posted this sort of information.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY [message #39389 is a reply to message #39354 ] Mon, 28 November 2011 18:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I know WD or FUD are ok for mold making, I just want to know if white detail is good enough and if FUD issues are solved...I just want a smooth piece (at least enough...)

THANKS!!!
Re: FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY [message #39401 is a reply to message #39389 ] Mon, 28 November 2011 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
White Detail vs. polished WSF
and an other pic for scale

And no, the FD/FUD issue is not solved.
Re: FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY [message #39403 is a reply to message #39354 ] Mon, 28 November 2011 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thnx Pfeiffer!!!

So u can recomend me white detail ??? I know a little bit of post-po will be necessary, but i think is a nice solution...
Re: FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY [message #39466 is a reply to message #39403 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 11:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
I'll receive some bigger WhiteDetail models in mid december, and then I'll decide which material (White Detail or WSFp) I'll use as master pieces for silicone molds.
But, according to what I've seen so far, I'm pretty sure both materials have a significant smoother surface than FD/FUD with the "popular" surface striping issue.
Re: FUD or WHITE DETAIL 4 ART TOY [message #39513 is a reply to message #39354 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 18:09 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Pfeiffer! I'm gonna order WD today, I've seen pieces made with the Objet printer (white detail 3d prints are made with Objet machines...), and are quite detailed and smooth. I'll post some close ups when recieved. Hope Shapeways can realize this succesfully..

(the piece is not to small, like 4 inch x 5 inch x3 inch....and the detail is not too tiny, because is a art toy;not a miniature....)

Thanks !!!

Previous Topic:size limits
Next Topic:Scale not shown