Home » Support » 3D Design » How to round curved cylinder edges?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to round curved cylinder edges? [message #39330] Sun, 27 November 2011 19:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar izorg  is currently offline izorg
Go to all my models
Hi, i'm trying to design a an open ring (see sketchup file). The edges where the ring is open are still quite sharp, how can I round them? the follow me tool in sketchup doesnt seem to work or does it? Are there plugins for those kind of problems?
Thx, Izorg

Re: How to round curved cylinder edges? [message #39399 is a reply to message #39330 ] Mon, 28 November 2011 19:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
There are some sketchup users here, but you'd probably get better help asking on a sketchup specific forum.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: How to round curved cylinder edges? [message #39453 is a reply to message #39399 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 08:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar izorg  is currently offline izorg
Go to all my models
Hi Youknowwho4eva, thanks for your answer.
Within Sketchup it seems to be not possible. I installed a plugin which ought to be able to round cylinders, but it seems, it can only do so if the cylinder itself isn't cuved.
Are there possibilities with other programs?
Best, Izorg
Re: How to round curved cylinder edges? [message #39547 is a reply to message #39453 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 22:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Hi Izorg,

That kid of organic shape is going to be hard in Sketchup. I had moderate success using the RoundCorner plugin on roughly 3/4 of the circle, but it needs some manual cleanup - see attachment.
index.php?t=getfile&id=12376&private=0

If you want this file, I can upload it for you, or you could ask on the Sketchucation forums to see if anyone knows a better way.

• Attachment: Capture.JPG
    (Size: 28.93KB, Downloaded 154 time(s))

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"

Previous Topic:how many points make a ring "round"?
Next Topic:Uploaded .x3d file ignored

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.