Home » Community » It arrived! » Vikings!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Vikings! [message #39311] Sun, 27 November 2011 05:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
The first of the Christmas presents has arrived! I've frequently referred to my brother as "Eric the Red", so it was only fitting that I make a rendition of him as a Viking. The model turned out great and arrived safely, despite some rather poor handling on the part of FedEx (big huge dent in the side of the box). The rune phrase (in the best translation of words into Old Nordic that I could manage) turned out rather well also. I think I am learning what will print successfully the first time and what will not.

Now, to paint! Unfortunately, it's huge, so this will be a big undertaking. I'm guessing the build organizer had fun with this one. Judging from the print lines, I believe it was printed with the words facing down.

Front:
index.php?t=getfile&id=12323&private=0
Side:
index.php?t=getfile&id=12324&private=0
Back:
index.php?t=getfile&id=12325&private=0

[Updated on: Sun, 27 November 2011 19:01 UTC]

Re: Vikings! [message #39315 is a reply to message #39311 ] Sun, 27 November 2011 06:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Wow, nice model - I hope you show us what it looks like after painting!

BTW, I thought from your title that you'd made something for our (Minnesota's) poor excuse for a football team...I shoulda known better Laughing

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Vikings! [message #39327 is a reply to message #39311 ] Sun, 27 November 2011 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sFsGaming  is currently offline sFsGaming
Go to my shop
Go Vikes! (And take the Twins with you!)

Nice model!

What size is it?
Re: Vikings! [message #39328 is a reply to message #39327 ] Sun, 27 November 2011 18:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It's 5 inches long, 3.25 inches tall, and almost 4 inches wide. Compared to the other stuff I've been making, this probably has 4-8 times the surface area.

And thanks for the compliments. The first step is actually to fill the hollow portion of the model with sand (there's a big hole in the bottom).

[Updated on: Sun, 27 November 2011 19:00 UTC]

Re: Vikings! [message #40448 is a reply to message #39311 ] Sun, 18 December 2011 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I finally completed the painting on these guys. It certainly took long enough, particularly since things are very crunched at work. As you can see from the close-up, there's a bit more texture on this WSF than normal, probably due to the larger size. You can also see that I'm not very good at painting... Luckily, what you can see in the close-up is not really visible unless you look very closely at the real object.

index.php?t=getfile&id=12799&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=12800&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=12801&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=12802&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=12803&private=0

• Attachment: 1-front.JPG
    (Size: 309.02KB, Downloaded 537 time(s))

• Attachment: 2-right.JPG
    (Size: 346.68KB, Downloaded 535 time(s))

• Attachment: 3-back.JPG
    (Size: 319.96KB, Downloaded 539 time(s))

• Attachment: 4-isometric.JPG
    (Size: 265.23KB, Downloaded 526 time(s))

• Attachment: 5-closeup.JPG
    (Size: 259.60KB, Downloaded 523 time(s))

Re: Vikings! [message #40455 is a reply to message #39311 ] Mon, 19 December 2011 02:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@turtle ! it looks great but couldn't you simply print it in full color sandstone ??

or is it that the painting is part of the FUN ? Smile

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Vikings! [message #40456 is a reply to message #40448 ] Mon, 19 December 2011 03:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Yeah, porous WSF is hard to paint well, but I think it turned out well.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Vikings! [message #40457 is a reply to message #40456 ] Mon, 19 December 2011 03:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@dizingof - I do like the painting, although it does take time. In this case, I estimate about 30 hours to complete the painting, since it's so large. The cracks and crevices are very difficult to get a paintbrush into. I haven't tried sandstone yet, but maybe I'll try that in the future.

@denali - Thanks! I find the texture afforded by WSF aesthetically pleasing. The trouble is that most folks who paint objects of this size and nature are accustomed to painting either really small stuff (wargamers) or, particularly, things which have much more intentional texture (e.g. fur). Thus, some folks I have asked for tips are at a loss, because there is no texture to drybrush or take advantage of washes. The bigger problem is that I'm mostly making things for other people, so I don't want to experiment too much.

As for the porosity, the key is to seal it first - this strategy saves paint also. A thin coat of sealant will suffice, without marring the texture.
Re: Vikings! [message #40706 is a reply to message #40457 ] Fri, 23 December 2011 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey TurtlesAreCool, I showed this off in Friday Finds. Such a cool gift idea!

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Vikings! [message #40724 is a reply to message #40706 ] Sun, 25 December 2011 03:29 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks, Ana!

The gift has been given at this point (we generally exchange one gift on Christmas Eve), and my brother was quite pleased. Mission accomplished!

Previous Topic:Candy Wrapper by OSKAR
Next Topic:IPhone 4 Case - Maori Traditional Art.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.