volume vs. pricing

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by 117641_deleted, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hallo,

I am not sure I understand the pricing. I have uploaded a model of a small lampshade. Volume is 34ccm (bounding box 11x11x12cm), which should make $48 in White Strong & Flexible. Instead the Online-Calculator says EUR 116 ($153).

Is something wrong with my model? I made it in SketchUp, converted to stl with Meshup and "healed" it with Netfabb (some red areas left).

Best regards
    d.

Attached Files:

2. Kasss_Gnarl
    Kasss_Gnarl Member
    Hi Drop200,

I had a look at the STL and it seems to have alot of internals. It also looks like the large cylinder is a solid piece which I would imagine should have a hole running up through it. If you could put up the sketchup file it might be easier to see the problems before it is converted to the .stl file.

3. thanks for looking.
    here is the skp-file.

Attached Files:

4. Kasss_Gnarl
    Kasss_Gnarl Member
    Here is an .stl of the fixed model. I will also give you the new .skp file in the next post so you can have a look at it and compare it with the original. Hopefully when you upload the .stl it will be closer to what you were expecting.

Attached Files:

5. Kasss_Gnarl
    Kasss_Gnarl Member
    New .skp file attached.

Attached Files:

6. Wow, great work. I hope I can do that for myself next time.
    Thanks.

7. Kasss_Gnarl
    Kasss_Gnarl Member
    No problem.

One of the things to make it easier in future is to 'explode' all the components once you have decided that you are finished with your model (in this case it you still had the 3 arms holding the shade as seperate componets). Once you have 'exploded' them all, make the model into one big component then right click it and select 'entity info'. If the pop up box shows a volume figure then your model is 'solid' and ready to be exported as .stl. If there is no volume or you are unable to create the whole model as a component then there is likey a hole somewhere, some of the faces are doulbed (sometimes easy to spot if you rotate the camera and look for flickering) or you have some internal faces/lines inside the model.

I'm no expert, but feel free to drop me a line if you need anymore help with sketchup.