Shapeways USA just announced 14k Gold, read more on the blog
Home » Support » 3D Design » Dimension wrong
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dimension wrong [message #39201] Thu, 24 November 2011 07:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar rezlo  is currently offline rezlo
Go to all my models
Hi all,

Ive just created a simple box, just to get a rough idea of cost etc,
i have max set to mm scale, and when i upload i choose mm.

the box in max is 200x200x30 but after its uploaded its listed size is
0.8x0.8x0.1 with cm selected
just wondering if im doing something wrong??

the file is exported as a .stl

• Attachment: box1.STL
    (Size: 0.67KB, Downloaded 35 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2011 07:36 UTC]

Re: Dimension wrong [message #39206 is a reply to message #39201 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 09:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
As far as I can see the box is 7,87 x 7,87 x 1,18 mm ...
Which software did you use ?
Re: Dimension wrong [message #39209 is a reply to message #39206 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 09:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to all my models
You software seems to be exporting the stl in inches. Try using inches when you upload to Shapeways.

Bill Bedford
Re: Dimension wrong [message #39222 is a reply to message #39201 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 15:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sFsGaming  is currently offline sFsGaming
Go to my shop
STL doesn't care what measurements you're using on-screen. You need to set your upload to your system units measurement, in which case you're probably using inches, (which is the default), even though you may be using mm for your designs.

To make it less confusing, you might want to set your system units to mm, which also seems to give you more precision.

But when you import or open others' models or scenes you may get a warning about the system units being different.
Re: Dimension wrong [message #39227 is a reply to message #39222 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
In your software, create a cube with sides=1, centered about (0,0,0).

Export it as an Ascii STL and edit the file with Notepad or your favorite editor.

You should see a bunch of lines that look like this:
vertex -0.5 -0.5 0.5
vertex -0.5 0.5 0.5
vertex -0.5 -0.5 -0.5

If the values are 0.5 (one half unit) then your software is exporting the STL correctly. If they are NOT 0.5, then your software is changing the scale before it exports the STL.

========
As has been said many times, the STL format is actually unit-less. It doesn't carry Meter, CM, MM, Inch nor ANY indication of units. When uploading to Shapeways, you are asked what unit that you want "0.5" to mean. If your software is doing some kind of conversion, then you'll need to adjust accordingly.

If your software just refuses to give you control, then I'd suggest downloading a copy of the free NetFabb Studio Basic.. it can easily enlarge/shrink your models so that you can achieve a successful Shapeways upload.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Dimension wrong [message #39228 is a reply to message #39227 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to all my models
Yerbut.......
The difference in size between what the OP expected and what he got was out by a factor of 25.4.

Bill Bedford
Re: Dimension wrong [message #39238 is a reply to message #39228 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 21:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
If as I understand you are using 3DS Max, you have to know that 3DS Max has two kinds of units: the display unit and the internal unit.
Check the "Units Setup" menu item of the "Customize" menu. It opens the "Units Setup" popup window that has a "system unit setup" button (first button). Click this button and set 1 unit to 1 mm.
Should work better... Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2011 21:33 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Dimension wrong [message #39242 is a reply to message #39238 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 22:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sFsGaming  is currently offline sFsGaming
Go to my shop
Magic wrote on Thu, 24 November 2011 21:31

If as I understand you are using 3DS Max, you have to know that 3DS Max has two kinds of units: the display unit and the internal unit.
Check the "Units Setup" menu item of the "Customize" menu. It opens the "Units Setup" popup window that has a "system unit setup" button (first button). Click this button and set 1 unit to 1 mm.
Should work better... Smile

Bingo.
Re: Dimension wrong [message #39246 is a reply to message #39242 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 02:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar rezlo  is currently offline rezlo
Go to all my models
Hi all thanks for all your quick replies, ill be sure to double check what im trying to change, but it does seem im not changinging it in the right spot.

Thanks again =)

Previous Topic:Texture problem
Next Topic:how many points make a ring "round"?