Home » Support » 3D Printing » Hollow models & support materials
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollow models & support materials [message #39170] Wed, 23 November 2011 23:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar WesleyE  is currently offline WesleyE
Go to all my models
Hi everyone,

I have a question, more about the actual printing process than about modeling itself.

If I have a hollow cube, I can imagine it has to be filled with support material to build the upper cap to close the cube. Will the support material still be there when I receive the finished model at home, or is it a empty cube?

Then, out of curiosity; how do you clean the support material out of the model? Do you leave a hole open, clean it and afterwards close it?

Thanks,

Wesley
Re: Hollow models & support materials [message #39174 is a reply to message #39170 ] Wed, 23 November 2011 23:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Check out the rules for each materials, most require an escape hole for hollow models http://www.shapeways.com/materials/

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Hollow models & support materials [message #39210 is a reply to message #39174 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 10:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WesleyE  is currently offline WesleyE
Go to all my models
Hmm, I've checked those pages but I don't see any notice about escape holes in any of them. Am I missing something or is it just a general requirement?

If so, is there a option to fix those escape holes and how big do they have to be?
Re: Hollow models & support materials [message #39216 is a reply to message #39170 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 13:23 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Kasss_Gnarl  is currently offline Kasss_Gnarl
Go to all my models
Have a look here: Tutoirial Creating Hollow Objects
It reccomends a hole of at least 2mm wide to allow cleaning.

Hope this helps. Smile

Previous Topic:Black is not really black?
Next Topic:Test Print for silver...