Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Seeking help and suggestion on the minimum resoultion of a model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Seeking help and suggestion on the minimum resoultion of a model [message #39090] Wed, 23 November 2011 04:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar gwfalcon  is currently offline gwfalcon
Go to my shop
Hi Team,

Newbie here. In a couple of days I would like to send some models to shapeways for printing. I would like to ask a question on the minimum resolution of a model.

I know that the minimum wall-thickness for most product (I am going to use one of them) is 0.1 mm. But does it mean that it is the minimum length of the polygon in a model? Kindly see the attached document. I have marked a 3mm length as a reference. You can see lots of triangles are there at the curvey edge, and their length surely is much less then 1 mm. For this case, can shapeways handle it?

Thanks a lot for all help, suggestions, and explanantions!

Alex
index.php?t=getfile&id=12255&private=0

• Attachment: Demo.JPG
    (Size: 98.36KB, Downloaded 111 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2011 04:05 UTC]

Re: Seeking help and suggestion on the minimum resoultion of a model [message #39115 is a reply to message #39090 ] Wed, 23 November 2011 13:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
gwfalcon wrote on Wed, 23 November 2011 04:03

I know that the minimum wall-thickness for most product (I am going to use one of them) is 0.1 mm.

I guess you mean 1mm, because the absolute minimum wall-thickness (for prints in "Frosted Ultra Detail") is 0,3mm ...

gwfalcon wrote on Wed, 23 November 2011 04:03

But does it mean that it is the minimum length of the polygon in a model?

Nope, it's the required material to make sure the models survive printing, cleaning, and (hopefully) shipping without breaking or deformation.

There are some nice pics about what might happen if walls are too thin on the FD/FUD design rules page.
Re: Seeking help and suggestion on the minimum resoultion of a model [message #39185 is a reply to message #39090 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 02:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar gwfalcon  is currently offline gwfalcon
Go to my shop
Many thanks for your detailed reply. Clear as crystal!!

Previous Topic:iPhone case modifications needed
Next Topic:Are you a 3D modeler and A Lord of the rings fan?