Home »  » 3D modeler needed » Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38736] Thu, 17 November 2011 13:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar geof131313  is currently offline geof131313
Go to all my models
I am looking to design a mechanism by which I can crimp together two pieces of metal or hard plastic around a string and have it permanently stay on.

I have some ideas about how to do this, but without the ability to model this thing in 3D and print it out to test, it's been slow going. Looking for someone to take my crappy, rough sketches and turn them into a prototype. A prototype as I envision it now would be roughly a square inch or two in size.

Looking for someone who is fast and responsive, but will not break the budget. Please PM me if you think you're up to the task.

Thanks,
Geoffrey
Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38738 is a reply to message #38736 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 13:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar accushape3d  is currently offline accushape3d
Go to my shop
PM sent!

www.accushape3d.com 15 years of proven experience in Solidworks and Mechanical Design.
Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38739 is a reply to message #38736 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 13:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
Personally I would use a double figure 8 not and an eye loop. String will break before it comes loose.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38746 is a reply to message #38739 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 16:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I don't think we'll be using knots.The mechanism, when crimped together, will catch the string with teeth.
Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38748 is a reply to message #38746 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 16:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I understand just offering cheap alternative if you need a 1 off that is sure enough that I would trust my life on it and have.

If you want a prototype for a New plastic injections molded product I can design for you.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38757 is a reply to message #38748 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 18:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ah, that makes sense. I'm working on manufacturing a new product and ran into a roadblock in fastening this thing to the end of the string in a way that meets my satisfaction, so I figured it would not be very hard to design one that meets my needs. The goal is to get a prototype built that I can then send to a manufacturer to have mass produced. I may also at some point be looking to file a patent, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there, as I will probably try to do that by investing behind revenue.
Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38760 is a reply to message #38757 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar accushape3d  is currently offline accushape3d
Go to my shop
I'm sure the prototype can be designed/printed for fit/form/function very inexpensively at the size you are considering.Be sure to have a signed NDA executed before you disclose any information regarding your design development to a CAD consultant. Protect your design until you reserve a patent!
best regards,

www.accushape3d.com 15 years of proven experience in Solidworks and Mechanical Design.
Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38764 is a reply to message #38760 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 18:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
NDA is aways a good idea though I personally would never divology info. Without permission.

Manufacturer will want step files

By the way as soon as you sell or publish publically you can no longer patent

Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38769 is a reply to message #38764 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Is that true? What if I just use the design in something that I sell, does that make it public information that can no longer be patented? Because it sounds highly unlikely that this would be the case. Still, obviously I'd consult a lawyer before going to market.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2011 18:59 UTC]

Re: Modeler needed to design string attachment mechanism [message #38773 is a reply to message #38736 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 20:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
It's usually the case that once you make something public it can no longer be patented. It's a bit weird I admit, but true all the same.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2011 20:52 UTC]

Previous Topic:RedFish
Next Topic:Pictures and Measurements, Just need shaped?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.