Uploaded .x3d file ignored

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by wstomv, Nov 15, 2011.

1. wstomv
    wstomv Member
    I uploaded a new model in a .x3d file. It has color, and looks good in MeshLab. I have successfully uploaded .x3d files before. The file is generated by Mathematica.

After the upload, I get the usual message (about receiving feedback by email).

However, I don't get a message and nothing happens (for two days).

I would expect that, if the file is corrupted or otherwise not processable by Shapeways, they send me an email with some explanation.

I did succeed in uploading the .stl version without color.

Any suggestions?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Hmmm may be a reply bug. I'll pass the word on to see what's going on.

3. wstomv
    wstomv Member
    Just in case it will help, here is an example .x3d file that does not upload (smaller than the one that I wanted to upload).

It was generated by Mathematica (frame.x3d), then scaled by MeshLab and saved again as frame2.x3d.

By the way, Netfabb (for Mac) reads beyond the end of the file and exits. However, I see no problem with the file. The xml looks good.

Thanks for looking into this.

Attached Files:

4. wstomv
    wstomv Member
    A solution to get color models from Mathematica that upload to Shapeways with color:
    [list type=1]
    [*] Export from Mathematica into X3D: Export["model.x3d", graphics]
    [*] Import the generated X3D file into MeshLab
    [*] Export from MeshLab into VRML 2: Export Mesh As... > Format: VRML File Format (*.wrl)
    [*] Upload the model.wrl to Shapeways; note that you need to enter the scale (millimeters, inches, meters)
    [/list]

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Glad you got it figured out!

6. wstomv
    wstomv Member
    Well, I don't agree here.

I did not figure out why Shapeways is not able to process X3D files, that the tools that I use indicate to be valid X3D files.

I did figure out a workaround, by converting into another file type.

This is inconvenient and unsatisfactory.