Can't see what I'm getting

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Leothedog, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Leothedog
    Leothedog Member
    I've been working on architectural models using Sketchup. Sometimes when I upload, I can see that a detail has been missed in the process and I try to fix the model to eliminate the error. However, recently I have encountered Shapeways illustrating 3D in a different way in "My Models". Originally, a "Java" logo would appear, followed by the 3D image which could be rotated using navigation tools AND could be enlarged by using the mouse wheel. Increasingly though, I am finding a different method being applied where I get a small blue screen-in-screen bearing the "Shapeways" name and a 3D image that rotates rather too quickly for me to make out any detail at all and CANNOT be enlarged as far as I can see.
    For large-ish models this is a real pain because I really can't see whether what has been uploaded is true to my original model. It also appears to be random, in that some uploads still appear in the original "Java" presentation style while some (increasingly) appear in the new way.
    For me this has been a backward move by Shapeways.
    Has anyone else encountered this as a problem?

Mike

2. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
  3. Leothedog
    Leothedog Member
    Scott
    Thanks for the advice.
    I've done that and can view, rotate etc my model.
    Can I safely assume that I'm seeing exactly what I should be seeing in the Shapeways 3D viewer. If something has vanished in the upload process to Shapeways, it will also be missing in the edrawings viewer? i.e. the STL file is what you see in the Shapeways 3D image?

Mike

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    It's suggested to use either meshlab or netfab basic to get a good vision of what shapeways is seeing with your model

5. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
    Hi Mike;

I think that if it looks correct in eDrawings it will print correctly at Shapeways; I checked a friend's first 3D part in eDrawings and it had some faces reversed which were clearly visible as being wrong.

Youknowwho4eva is right; download Meshlab or Netfabb Basic (it's free). It will show you exactly what and where a part's wrong and has tools to allow you to fix it.

Scott

6. Leothedog
    Leothedog Member
    Thanks guys.

I do use Meshlab and Nettfab but am not particularly familiar with their tools etc yet. I've done little more than make the conversion to STL. When I attempt to repair, I tend to get into a lot of trouble!
    But thanks for the advice anyway - I just wish that Shapeways hadn't tinkered with the way it displays in 3d!

Mike