Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup [message #38110] Mon, 07 November 2011 13:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Hanfgeist  is currently offline Hanfgeist
Go to all my models
Finally figured out how to use Google sketchup to input my design . What do I do now, can I send the sketchup file to shapeways to get a quote on whether they can make it or not or do I have to run some more software over it before it can be fed to the 3D printer machines?
Re: Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup [message #38114 is a reply to message #38110 ] Mon, 07 November 2011 15:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Once the model in Sketchup is scaled correctly and is "Solid" (via the Entity Info window), then just export as DAE and upload to Shapeways for a quote. DAE usually works and is nice because its a native export option, but if you have trouble you can use this STL exporter for free.

If you need a color 3D print, then you'll need to get Meshlab and use this tutorial.

Hope that helps!

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup [message #38115 is a reply to message #38114 ] Mon, 07 November 2011 15:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Hanfgeist  is currently offline Hanfgeist
Go to all my models
Thanks Marcus

I managed to create an STL file using Meshlab but will try it with the DAE file first.

HG
Re: Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup [message #40069 is a reply to message #38114 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 17:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Patrick Kniesler  is currently offline Patrick Kniesler
Go to all my models
Is the only way to make an entity "solid" in Sketchup by making it a component?
Re: Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup [message #40073 is a reply to message #40069 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Short answer, yes. Or you can make it a group, basically the same thing as far as 'solids' go.

Longer answer, making the entity a component OR group is the only way Sketchup will tell you its "Solid". Now if you build the model correctly (manifold) without making it a component, it will still be "Solid" from Shapeways' perspective when you upload it.

Does that make sense?

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup [message #40094 is a reply to message #40073 ] Sun, 11 December 2011 05:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Patrick Kniesler  is currently offline Patrick Kniesler
Go to all my models
Sure does. Now its only an irrational fear that my model's edges are the only things to be sintered and it'll just fall apart in front of the poor Netherlander who's time I had just wasted ;]
Re: Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup [message #40097 is a reply to message #40094 ] Sun, 11 December 2011 14:03 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Great, glad that got cleared up! Laughing

Previous Topic:Rejections for previously printed models
Next Topic:Render pictures

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.