Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Silver Print Turned Black over time
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37879] Thu, 03 November 2011 18:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar eSculpt  is currently offline eSculpt
Go to my shop
Hi, a silver ring I had printed turned black over time, but only on a specific piece, that looks like it could've been painted like that professionally, because the line of it is so straight. A printing error? Or just a side effect of the casting process that can be cleaned off? If the latter, what should be used to clean it as to not damage the ring?

Thanks

esculpt.co.za

Eric Solomon
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37883 is a reply to message #37879 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 19:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Silver turns black because there is sulphur in the atmosphere. Which means just about anywhere close to modern life. The fact that you have a straight line on your piece is probably a quirk of the air circulation in the room that it is in.
There are many products on the market specially formulated for cleaning silver.

Bill Bedford
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37885 is a reply to message #37883 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 19:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
but the the line is mirrored by a perfectly symmetrical line on the other side of the ring? that and the lines arent on the exposed side of the ring, there almost on the inside. that and it hasnt been more than a month since i got the ring, and im sure this sulfur effect doesnt happen in like 3 weeks (not to pitch black at least?). but I'll get some silver cleaner and give it a go.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 November 2011 19:15 UTC]

esculpt.co.za

Eric Solomon
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37888 is a reply to message #37879 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Interesting, do you have any images of the effect? Before and after could help. I'll email Nancy to see if she can offer any incite.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37889 is a reply to message #37888 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
i'll get a photo of after tomorrow, and i still have some of before, so i'll show you guys asap. it's a strange thing to be honest, but i dont think its a serious problem, im sure it can just be cleaned off (i hope)

esculpt.co.za

Eric Solomon
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37891 is a reply to message #37885 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 19:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Mmm interesting, you didn't say it was a ring.....

Do you use hand lotion or something similar? if so check that they haven't got sulphites in them. These used as anti-oxidants in a lot of foods and cosmetics.

Bill Bedford
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37893 is a reply to message #37891 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 20:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
BillBedford wrote on Thu, 03 November 2011 19:56

Mmm interesting, you didn't say it was a ring.....

Do you use hand lotion or something similar? if so check that they haven't got sulphites in them. These used as anti-oxidants in a lot of foods and cosmetics.

thats an idea, but it didnt go black all along where it would contact the finger, but only in 2 perfect lines along the edges.

esculpt.co.za

Eric Solomon
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37894 is a reply to message #37879 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 20:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The part the perplexes me the most is, the silver isn't printed in layers. The wax is, and then they do a lost wax casting so it shouldn't be possible to have layering of potential different materials. My guess without seeing it would be a layer that was slightly lower than the rest of the faces so that dirt could collect in there.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #37895 is a reply to message #37893 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 20:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Maybe they get coated with something, and the lines are the holders used while applying? The Steel-Bronze parts get an acrylic coat after Gold plating, so maybe Silver is also getting some kind of protection.
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #38094 is a reply to message #37895 ] Mon, 07 November 2011 08:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
hey guys so sorry for taking long with these photos.

here is the before image

index.php?t=getfile&id=11841&private=0

• Attachment: DSC_0378.jpg
    (Size: 261.49KB, Downloaded 289 time(s))

esculpt.co.za

Eric Solomon
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #38095 is a reply to message #38094 ] Mon, 07 November 2011 08:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
and here is after

index.php?t=getfile&id=11842&private=0

• Attachment: DSC_0461.jpg
    (Size: 190.43KB, Downloaded 280 time(s))

esculpt.co.za

Eric Solomon
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #38097 is a reply to message #38095 ] Mon, 07 November 2011 08:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
and another

index.php?t=getfile&id=11843&private=0

• Attachment: DSC_0478.jpg
    (Size: 167.94KB, Downloaded 284 time(s))

esculpt.co.za

Eric Solomon
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #38197 is a reply to message #38097 ] Tue, 08 November 2011 22:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
My guess is that you laid the band down on a surface that had a trace of some reactive chemistry on it. Even a minute amount of the right sort of vapor will cause this reaction. Amazing symmetry though eh?

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Silver Print Turned Black over time [message #38604 is a reply to message #38097 ] Tue, 15 November 2011 06:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
I have some oxidizing gel that is sulfur based, I use it to give my silver an antique look. This looks a lot tike sulfur. Water mixed with baking soda will remove any sulfur. GlenG makes a good point, the ring looks like it was laid on a surface with liquid that reacted with the silver.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2011 07:04 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:Is it possible to do unglazed ceramics?
Next Topic:Can't see what I'm getting

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.