Blossom heart pendant

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by vaclavmazany, Oct 30, 2011.

1. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    Hi all,

It's been already some time, when this arrived. Today I had some time to take some pictures, finally. :)

I'm planning to do this in silver, but because of so many delicate "tentacles", I wasn't able to easily modify it. So I will have to redesign it a bit I guess.

So this version is in white-SF and red-SF.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/323060/blossom_heart.html

_MG_4697.jpg
    _MG_4700.jpg
    _MG_4704.jpg
    _MG_4707.jpg

2. 88898_deleted
    88898_deleted Member
    looks great in the red!

3. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    thx...
    and do you think it might be better / worse if it wouldn't be coloured, and it would be silver ?
    I'm asking about opinion colour vs silver :)

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Because of all the unsupported area, you'd have to beef it up a lot for silver and the price will grow significantly. Perhaps order in alumide? so that you get a metalic looks, or paint in a metalic paint?

Are these 2 identical? It looks like the leaves on the white are larger than the ones on the red?

5. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    I know.. but I have to find some time to redesign it a bit :)
    + I don't like the alumide that much, so for me its, if metal then silver only :)

Yes, both should be the same. Same print, just different colour.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. Youknowwho4eva
    I wonder if it has to do with print orientation. I've circled in green two spots that are really different on the two.
    differences.jpg

7. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    hmm.. not sure.. I will have to check out, when I'll get home.
    But it might be because its the oposite side. The hearts are symetrical, to some point. So it might be one of the diferences.
    But thx for pointing it out.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    No problem, I was just thinking you could send to support which was your intended look, so that they can continue to improve quality.

9. jeff
    jeff Member
    yea I agree w/ youknow's keen eye. Red one has sharper lines, white one looks as if it lost some definition.

Awesome design. Really like the photos' composition & your logo darkening the wood grain behind it, nice touch.

10. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    Thx,
    It's always a pleassure to hear some compliment :)

About the printed models, it is actually true, that the white one, came out a bit different. Yesterday I've checked it, and, for some reason, it's a bit more "bulky" it has a bit more mass to it.
    Might it be possible because of the orientation in printer ?

11. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Bulkier and with obvious layers. Does the red one have layers if looked from the sides? Or not layers at all, just "sand" texture?

Maybe it was grouped with big items? If you look at the material page for WSF, you get a list of differences for big items (above 117mm) which suggest big items are printted by a different machine, or with thicker laser and layers:

Base WSF has less obvious layers and min detail is 0.2mm.

12. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    nope... no layers, just "sand" texture

aha... I didn't know about that this could happen, I thought that it is only possible for really big models... I will ask the support then, it wouldn't be nice, if it would differ from order to order...

13. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    Hi all,

Just a quick reply about what it was actually causing the stepping and volume. According to Shapeways it was due to printing orientation (I thought so). And I got a coupon from them. So many thanks to the Shapeways service :)

Václav

14. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hi Vaclav, just wanted to let you know that your blossom pendant is featured in Friday Finds!

15. GeomatrixDesigns
    GeomatrixDesigns Active Member
    Very nice unique design! Would love to see in Silver.

16. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    Cool :) thank-you !
    I really appreciate it.

17. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    This is exactly my plan :) but I need to save some time to redesign it a bit. For silver it's too thin.
    Frankly, silver was / is my main goal, but it turned out that it cannot be casted, so i tried how it'll look in red SF and it seems that it's better than I thought :)