Home » Support » 3D Design » Why is my design so expensive to print?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why is my design so expensive to print? [message #37003] Thu, 20 October 2011 05:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar Scooley01  is currently offline Scooley01
Go to all my models
I had an idea for something last night, so I drew it up in Sketchup and uploaded it to see what it'd cost to get printed.

The first time I uploaded it, I accidentally made it solid, so it was understandably pretty pricey to print, but even after hollowing it out, it's still nearly $100. Is that typical for something around 10x3.8x25cm? Is my design just too big to be cost effective to print?

Solid version

Hollowed version
Re: Why is my design so expensive to print? [message #37017 is a reply to message #37003 ] Thu, 20 October 2011 11:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi, that sounds about right, depending on the object and wall thickness.

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Why is my design so expensive to print? [message #37068 is a reply to message #37017 ] Thu, 20 October 2011 23:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Scooley01  is currently offline Scooley01
Go to all my models
Alright well I guess I just had a different idea of how much that much material would cost...seems like another option might be less cost prohibitive.
Re: Why is my design so expensive to print? [message #40956 is a reply to message #37068 ] Fri, 30 December 2011 19:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dynath  is currently offline dynath
Go to my shop
Material cost is cubic. You double the dimensions, you multiply the cost by itself 3 fold. Thus it scales extremely quickly when you are dealing with large models.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 December 2011 19:24 UTC]

Check Out my blog dynath.blogspot.com
Re: Why is my design so expensive to print? [message #41013 is a reply to message #40956 ] Sun, 01 January 2012 10:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Actually, if you double all dimensions, the volume grows 8-fold (2 to the third power).

Volume is length x width x height, so by doubling them all you get 2 x 2 x 2 = 8 times the volume.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Previous Topic:conversion of 2D > 3D, software needed
Next Topic:newbie - need help seriously