Home » Community » Introductions » newbie
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
newbie [message #36861] Tue, 18 October 2011 14:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar erckgillis  is currently offline erckgillis
Go to my shop
Long time IT geek but no 3D experience. I've been designing and making metal jewelry as a hobby and chainmaile jewelry as a business.

I'd like to know what are the best tools to be able to create small simple shapes and link them like I use in maille and jewelery chains? the scale here is often less than 10mm per segment.

It seems many basic shapes like a torus with specific dimensions require a great amount of hand drawing?

I'd love to be able to make my own 3D designs but is this realistic given the complexity of even some of the most basic weave patterns? I'm not even sure many of the designs will meet the printing and materials restrictions for gaps and dimensions.

Ed

Ed
ERCK Store
Re: newbie [message #36863 is a reply to message #36861 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 14:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If your just looking to do torus you should be fine with sketchup or 123D. I'm not to familar with them so don't know about making them more chain looking shapes. But when you make one, you just copy and paste

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: newbie [message #36897 is a reply to message #36863 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar erckgillis  is currently offline erckgillis
Go to my shop
Thanks,

Yes I installed the shapes tools to Sketchup and the torus tool was available. I now have 3 in 1 and 4 in 1 rings "linked" together.

I will have to read the design rules for gaps and tolerances between components.

Then decide if I want them to be closed loops or create toggles & clasps etc.

Well back to design! UGH! perhaps I'll post some results?

Ed
Dallas TX USA

Go Rangers!

Ed
ERCK Store
Re: newbie [message #36898 is a reply to message #36861 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Can't wait to see them in the "it arrived" section

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Hello from Scotland
Next Topic:Hello from Germany and first model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.