Home » Community » General Discussion » Where's "Full Color Sandstone"
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36801] Mon, 17 October 2011 22:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar focomoso  is currently offline focomoso
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I'm a 3d designer / animator looking into using shapeways to print some of my characters for a presentation (and, if all goes well, for possible sale).

I exported a test character in .dae format and zipped it up with the textures. The model came in fine, but the textures don't seem to have made it (or the system didn't recognize them) as the preview pic is all gray.

Also, the "Full Color Sandstone" option seems to be missing from the materials list.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

James
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36830 is a reply to message #36801 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 05:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi Focomoso and welcome to Shapeways,

My understanding is that for color objects dae is not supported.
Please read this page:
http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/exporting_to_vrml_and_x3d _for_color_printing
It seems that only vrml or x3d are supported in the zip file along with the texture in jpg.
Hope this helps.

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36831 is a reply to message #36830 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 06:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Wavefront's .obj supports colors too. But not tested with SW upload process yet.
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36833 is a reply to message #36830 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 06:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Magic. That page helps (not sure why I couldn't find it before). It looks like I have some more work to do because I suspect vrml doesn't support multi-subobject materials either...
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36845 is a reply to message #36833 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 11:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, all must be in a single texture and I am currently struggling to be able to map subtextures to some parts of the model... Crying or Very Sad

Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36873 is a reply to message #36801 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 17:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stefan_z  is currently offline stefan_z
Go to my shop
VRML + referenced JPG texture works for me.

If you have to combine multiple textures, try the C4D / Bodypaint "Texture Bake" function...
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36876 is a reply to message #36873 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 17:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
I've tested with multiple texture files and VRML in Rhino.
You have to select VRML2 on the export to make it work.

It took me a long time to figure out! But it's quite easy from Rhino. Not sure about other programs.

Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36880 is a reply to message #36876 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 17:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stefan_z  is currently offline stefan_z
Go to my shop
But does this work with shapeways?
Their page says "one texture only" somewhere...
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36890 is a reply to message #36873 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
3ds max has render to texture, but the process is a not so straightforward because if you have multi-subobject textures on your model, you have to flatten the uv map... I'll post the workflow when I get it to work.

Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36891 is a reply to message #36880 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, multiple image files work. The color zones here come from one image, the stripe zones are from a different file. It was uploaded as zipped .wrl plus two .png.
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36900 is a reply to message #36891 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey everyone, sounds like this process varies a lot depending on the software.

If you'll post instructions, I can get the tutorial page updated to get the information to everyone.
Smile

Is VRML2 a difficult format to export to?
I would like .dae or .obj myself, but it would be good to get an idea of what file formats and instructions would be helpful for everyone.
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36903 is a reply to message #36891 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 19:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stannum wrote on Tue, 18 October 2011 18:23

Yes, multiple image files work. The color zones here come from one image, the stripe zones are from a different file. It was uploaded as zipped .wrl plus two .png.

If I can get this to work in max, my life will be much easier! What did you export from?
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #36906 is a reply to message #36903 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 19:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Blender.
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #37158 is a reply to message #36906 ] Sat, 22 October 2011 06:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
So 3ds max export to vrml2 works with multiple textures flawlessly. You can see it in action here: color cube. Each color is actually a solid color map that uploaded with the .wrl with no problems.
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #37160 is a reply to message #37158 ] Sat, 22 October 2011 06:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
There are a lot of way of applying different parts of the same texture on a model in 3DS Max: I guess there is one that works better than another...
I still have to found out which one...
Sad

Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #40068 is a reply to message #36900 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 17:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Patrick Kniesler  is currently offline Patrick Kniesler
Go to all my models
Howdy! Does Shapeways have plans to start using .KMZ files for color Sketchup uploads?
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #45274 is a reply to message #37158 ] Sat, 10 March 2012 21:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar akwhitacre  is currently offline akwhitacre
Go to all my models
Is this something folks have successfully tried when exporting from Sketchup Pro 8? I'm looking to print an object with multiple textures and colors as full color sandstone, but sadly no matter what filetype I export to, the resulting object on Shapeways is gray.

For anyone who's had success exporting from Sketchup to full color sandstone with multiple colors and textures, what settings or steps worked for you? Is there something I should be watching out for besides the 2mm minimum width requirement and being sure to use VMRL?

(And do I understand it right that VRML includes WRL + images?)

Any help is much appreciated since this is for my wife's birthday present. Razz
Re: Where's "Full Color Sandstone" [message #45301 is a reply to message #45274 ] Sun, 11 March 2012 06:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AD-Edge  is currently offline AD-Edge
Go to my shop
Sounds like Im the only one who uses .x3db Smile

In my experience, colour models for FCS are very finicky, ie getting the texture to upload with the model correctly to shapeways can be a battle.

Theres various things that can go wrong, but I can suggest a few things - first make sure the texture is mapped to every face on the model, in the past even having one face which hasnt got the texture applied will cause shapeways to reject the texture or be unable to find it.

Make sure your applying the exact same texture to the model which your also putting in the .zip and that the name is exactly the same.
I use Blender and, for example, if you open a 2nd version of a image in the program it will be named texture.001.jpg, even though the source image is named texture.jpg, exporting that model with texture.001.jpg applied to it and putting it in a .zip with texture.jpg will result in a non-textured model on shapeways.

As for the FCS material not appearing, try going into the edit page for the model on shapeways and re-enable the materia, FCS could just be disabled as a material option there, its happened to me before.

I dont know how this would work in other programs, or with other model formats for that matter, but those are some of the issues I've encountered personally.

*Edit* Whoops, didnt realise how old this thread was...

[Updated on: Sun, 11 March 2012 06:13 UTC]

Previous Topic:My Models page
Next Topic:Lightpoem - not working ?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.