Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Buyers Name
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Buyers Name [message #3035] Thu, 19 February 2009 14:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop

In the email that we recieve notifying us of our sales, I would like to see the shapeways nickname of the person buying them.

I just got a mini rush of sales. I assume these were all bought by the same person. So today, I was curious who bought them.

But it's more than curious interest that sparks the need to know who is buying your product. Here are some good reasons:

-curiosity ... ok this is a good enough reason too Wink

-buyer appreciation ... maybe in some cases, you would like to thank a buyer for a large purchase.

-promotion ... maybe at some point you have a promotion for Nth sale. "You are the 100th purchaser of this product, so you have won an all expense paid weekend in Guelph Ontario!"

-instructions/directions ... perhaps your item needs a little assembly or directions, and you would like to send these to the buyer through email or snail mail.

-product safety ... it's sad to say that in some cases people buy things to copy ideas. Being able to monitor your buyers will help to see if they are exhibiting a trend in this direction.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Buyers Name [message #3036 is a reply to message #3035 ] Thu, 19 February 2009 15:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar __DF__  is currently offline __DF__
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I was wondering about the same thing today Whystler.

I will add one more reason: An artist wants to know who buys his work. And this is not curiosity, it is related to the artist's work and professional development progress.

Subscribing..!

Shapeways Shop | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Tumblr | Vimeo
Re: Buyers Name [message #3039 is a reply to message #3035 ] Thu, 19 February 2009 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar daddymack  is currently offline daddymack
Go to my shop
me too:)
Re: Buyers Name [message #3041 is a reply to message #3035 ] Fri, 20 February 2009 04:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba is currently online Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Whystler wrote on Thu, 19 February 2009 14:49

I just got a mini rush of sales. I assume these were all bought by the same person. So today, I was curious who bought them.

Actually, I think Shapeways has just done some good promotion -- I'm told there's a 25% off on White Strong Flex sale, and judging by my inbox it seems to be working. Smile

My opinion: I'd like if buyers have the option to reveal their names, but I wouldn't ask for it to be mandatory.

I like knowing my buyers too, especially the big ones. But it's also true that a lot of people are very security-conscious online, and they may not want to gratify your curiosity or get messages from you.

To provide instructions or documentation is a valid reason, but I think it would be better served by having a way to add one or more links on a model's page.

Quote:

-product safety ... it's sad to say that in some cases people buy things to copy ideas. Being able to monitor your buyers will help to see if they are exhibiting a trend in this direction.

It would be nice if this worked, but I tend to think if someone wants to steal your idea, they'll steal it anyway. People can't buy from my site anonymously, and it doesn't stop them.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Buyers Name [message #3043 is a reply to message #3041 ] Fri, 20 February 2009 07:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvicarious  is currently offline bvicarious
Go to my shop
I don't know, I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't be mandatory to know their names. How many other sites like this don't give you that info? Ponoko, etsy, dawanda, artfire, 1000markets.. all of them do. If someone REALLY wants to mask their identity they'll use a fake name or something.
Re: Buyers Name [message #3046 is a reply to message #3035 ] Fri, 20 February 2009 08:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar garenc  is currently offline garenc
Go to my shop
Unknown buyers, unfaced world. Somewhere in the deal in shapeways'shop, buyer's email is wrote. So, this address can be inclued in an auto-generate mail for the seller. I would like to develop 3d prints with Shapeways service for young contemporary french artist. Due to law, they have to produce invoice and to have the address of the buyers, because it's limited.
I hope you could do something for us.
Thanks.
Best regards.

philippe garenc
Re: Buyers Name [message #3050 is a reply to message #3046 ] Fri, 20 February 2009 11:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Currently our privacy policy doesn't allow for giving out members names when they order something.

What we could do is add something somewhere telling people to send the Shop owner a message: either when they order or when they receive it.

Or we could ask people if it is ok for their profile to be given to the Shop owner.

We'll look into it and see what is possible.
Re: Buyers Name [message #3070 is a reply to message #3050 ] Sat, 21 February 2009 20:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I can't think of another site where the seller cannot see or interact with the buyer.

What is the benefit of a seller not knowing the buyer?

-Whystler

Re: Buyers Name [message #3071 is a reply to message #3035 ] Sat, 21 February 2009 21:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
Privacy.

Shapeways is somewhat unique in their model of being a broker between buyers and sellers in that the seller doesn't physically create the product and doesn't ship the product to the buyer.
In addition the Shapeways privacy policy right now probably states that they won't give out a buyer's information to anyone. That would include sellers as currently written.

I can see room for the policy to change and allow a buyer to allow the seller to know who they are, but freely allowing a seller to know who is buying their products without notifying or requesting permission from the buyer has privacy violation written all over it.
Re: Buyers Name [message #3128 is a reply to message #3041 ] Fri, 27 February 2009 14:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeterHermans  is currently offline PeterHermans
Go to my shop
Bathsheba wrote on Fri, 20 February 2009 04:40

My opinion: I'd like if buyers have the option to reveal their names, but I wouldn't ask for it to be mandatory.

I like knowing my buyers too, especially the big ones. But it's also true that a lot of people are very security-conscious online, and they may not want to gratify your curiosity or get messages from you.

To provide instructions or documentation is a valid reason, but I think it would be better served by having a way to add one or more links on a model's page.

I also feel the curiosity of wanting to know who bought my product. But I really agree with Bathsheba; make it optional at best, but not mandatory. Privacy is important and you would not want to loose out customers for that (because you might).
Re: Buyers Name [message #3129 is a reply to message #3128 ] Fri, 27 February 2009 14:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop

Could someone put out a plausible scenario whereby a buyer's privacy would be threatened by the creator/seller of the product? I am assuming that if the buyer did not want to be contacted, then they would not make their contact information available on Shapeways.

I'm not challenging the idea that privacy is an issue. I just want to understand the issue, because right now, I don't see it.

-Whystler

Re: Buyers Name [message #3132 is a reply to message #3129 ] Fri, 27 February 2009 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar daddymack  is currently offline daddymack
Go to my shop
I don't know if there needs to be an actual threatening situation, I think people just like options and to be able to chose;)

I think that a 'thank the designer' button would suffice in providing the option to contact/ send a message/ send details to the designer of an item.
Re: Buyers Name [message #3194 is a reply to message #3132 ] Mon, 02 March 2009 15:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
On your Shop page there is already a button "Contact the shop owner" if someone uses this button they send you a private message on the forum.

So it is possible for people to send you a message but we're looking at adding another method whereby people could upon ordering choose to tell you that it was they that ordered your item.

Re: Buyers Name [message #10490 is a reply to message #3194 ] Fri, 05 March 2010 22:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar flipstereo  is currently offline flipstereo
Go to my shop
Is there any way to know the order number, without knowing the buyers name ? i think currently only order date is mentioned.
This way a buyer can provide that order number offline and be tied to an actual purchase for future discounts
( using co-creator for example )
Re: Buyers Name [message #11165 is a reply to message #10490 ] Sat, 27 March 2010 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
I suppose some sort of demographics would be nice information. Maybe the option to add a survey to a product (or shop) so when they order, it asks if you would like to fill out a survey to send to the shop owners of your order?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/excitementproductions

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Buyers Name [message #11554 is a reply to message #3035 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 01:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm with Shapeways on this one... sort of. There is another business model like theirs where the customer is not revealed to the "artist" and that is the likes of Zazzle where items such as posters, t-shirts, mugs, etc are printed with a users design and shipped by Zazzle. The buyer is not revealed to the seller.

However, should I ever get to the point whre I'm making a lot of sales I would like to have access to sales information; i.e. countries where product is shipped, sales volume by item, profit per item, etc., etc.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Buyers Name [message #11561 is a reply to message #3035 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 12:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The last two you mentioned already are provided.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Buyers Name [message #29281 is a reply to message #3035 ] Sat, 18 June 2011 14:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar eTraxx  is currently offline eTraxx
Go to my shop
I can see both sides .. but. I sold two items .. one of each on May 26. On June 13 those same two items I sell 45 ea. Now .. I had posted when I uploaded the items that any buyer should do so at his/her own risk as I had not had them printed off yet. EVIDENTLY .. whoever bought them was happy with them since they placed that order for 45 ea. I don't have a burning desire to know who the person is (although I would like to) .. but I WOULD like some feedback. Seems to me that Shapeways as the "middle man" could at least re-direct a question from me to whoever the buyer is without in any way reveling who that person is to me .. or something as simple as "the person who created the object you bought would like you to provide feedback to the shop page" .. I mean .. come on.
Re: Buyers Name [message #29308 is a reply to message #29281 ] Sun, 19 June 2011 06:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
Usually I do know who my buyers are because a large percentage of my sales are to 2 or 3 different people and if they don't talk to e before the sale they publish pictures on there sites after the fact.

However there are 2 things I would like to know that I don't always know.

1) For those that are not repeat customers how did they find me. Google Analytics gives me the view history but not if something translates to a sale or not.

2) I would like it if shapeways would include a card with a reference url asking them to review each of the items they got. The url could know what was in the order and give the customer 1 page where they could rate, and write reviews on everything they got. Would probably encourage a lot more to review stuff. Maybe even offer a raffle. each post sale review gets you in a draw for a monthly $15 gift card. it is surprising how much extra trafic a small potential gift like that can bring in.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Buyers Name [message #31376 is a reply to message #3035 ] Sat, 23 July 2011 05:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
I would at the very least like a city and country attached to each sale. It would not be any violation to privacy of the buyer.

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Buyers Name [message #37026 is a reply to message #31376 ] Thu, 20 October 2011 14:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robs_mw  is currently offline robs_mw
Go to my shop
Hello Shapeways,

Is there any update on this topic from 2009(!)?

I made my first sale (yippee!), but also to my surprise I found out there's no info about the buyer provided anywhere (or do I miss something somewhere?).

Best regards,
Robert

Rob's Model Workshop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rmw
http://robs-mw.com
Re: Buyers Name [message #37059 is a reply to message #37026 ] Thu, 20 October 2011 19:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
As far as I know, nothing has changed. There is no information that you have access to, related to the buyer.

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
Re: Buyers Name [message #37106 is a reply to message #37059 ] Fri, 21 October 2011 11:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Quote:

There is no information that you have access to, related to the buyer.

Except for co-creator models...

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Buyers Name [message #37478 is a reply to message #3035 ] Thu, 27 October 2011 17:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JamesSaunders  is currently offline JamesSaunders
Go to my shop
I'm with Robert. I too just made my first sale (hooray) and it would be great to be able to get some feedback from customers. As it is, there is no mechanism to iterate and improve designs based on customer input. Hopefully Shapeways can figure out a way to facilitate this.
Re: Buyers Name [message #37588 is a reply to message #3035 ] Sat, 29 October 2011 07:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robs_mw  is currently offline robs_mw
Go to my shop
Hi,

I double checked with Shapeways:
"At the moment we are not looking to change the interaction between the seller and the buyer to send on the buyers information to the seller.
Shapeways differs from Etsy, Ebay and Amazon in that we are fabricating and providing the product to the buyer. Shapeways handles quality control and complaints.
In this way we can offer consistent customer service and user experience across multiple shops."

I stated as reasons why I would like to have customer information (as also mentioned in this thread already):

The first thing I would want to know about my customers is demographics.
Where are my customers coming from (country at least)?
I'm targetting certain markets, but in Google Analytics I see many hits from different markets...
but I can't map this back to the sales.

Also you would like to know if I have repeat customers or new ones mostly; this to steer the marketing efforts.

It might also be interesting to know, how they found the shop (but Shapeways doesn't know that currently either...so would have to ask I guess); again, to steer the marketing efforts.

Above info can be made available in an anonymous report form also, thus without revealing the actual (name) details of the customers (to e.g. protect privacy or maintain the "consistent user experience").

If I had many customers, you might want to consider a newsletter or so.
Or invite them for feedback / a poll related to new product development (new model examples).
I'm aware however above can be done via e.g. a Facebook group/page also.
But that requires additional action from the buyer again of course.

Cheers,
Robert

Rob's Model Workshop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rmw
http://robs-mw.com
Re: Buyers Name [message #38195 is a reply to message #37588 ] Tue, 08 November 2011 21:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba is currently online Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
FWIW, I'm fine with how things are. I don't feel any entitlement to customer data from Shapeways.

For many customers a promise of confidentiality, that their data will not be shared with anyone, is a selling point. Maybe Shapeways likes to be able to say that; anyway it's their decision to make. This is their site, these are their customers. I can tell that because when packages don't arrive or there are issues with payment, it's Shapeways' problem and not mine. Smile If I want a deeper relationship with customers, I can develop that on my own commerce site.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Buyers Name [message #38205 is a reply to message #38195 ] Wed, 09 November 2011 00:31 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Bathsheba, I totally understand your point of view.

I don't feel entitled to any information, but I would still love to get any.

I had an order today, and I have no way of knowing if it was from someone I had promoted to using one of many different ways I am promoting my items, a friend, or someone that just happened upon the item while looking through shapeways.

Knowing what state they are from, a last name, or even initials, and what site they came from to order the item would not be enough to identify the person or contact them, but could help me in determining if I should continue the effort and money spent promoting my items here.

Lincoln
www.craftosterone.com

www.Craftosterone.com

Previous Topic:model description formatting
Next Topic:Shops earnings after new pricing structure

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.