Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
infusion [message #36646] Fri, 14 October 2011 18:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar CLERCY SOPHIE  is currently offline CLERCY SOPHIE
Go to my shop
hi everybody,
who could give me information of the resin that Shapeways use to infuse the full color sandstone?
thanks a lot!
cheers

Sophie
Re: infusion [message #36649 is a reply to message #36646 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
It is cyanoacrylate, a.k.a. super-glue. It is a special quick-curing, fume-free formulation designed for Zcorp prints.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: infusion [message #36650 is a reply to message #36646 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 19:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If fume free... could you explain why some white zones appear sometimes?
Re: infusion [message #36657 is a reply to message #36646 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Fume-free is a misnomer. It's their way of saying you can stand near an open tub of it (with ventilation above) and you won't be blinded and pass out. The whiteness, called "blushing" can happen for a number of reasons, like too high a temperature (the accelerated reaction makes it heat up quickly) or excessive humidity. It definitely has fumes and a smell to it, but it is very different from regular CA and actually isn't unpleasant if you accidentally get a whiff. Still, like when you buy "odor-free" paint thinner, you are going to want to treat it like the normal stuff.

Re: infusion [message #36669 is a reply to message #36657 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 21:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes I know for the cyanocrylate... Very toxic, expensive and not good in time.... But they speak about a new resin, polyester which have an infinite pot life and becomes hard in hoven. Anybody knows the name of that resin?

Sophie
Re: infusion [message #36672 is a reply to message #36646 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 21:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Interesting. I have only heard the new process as being CA based, but it would not surprise if there were some polyester in it. Polyester actually cures normally by itself, which is why it expires (polymerizes). I have heard of baked polyester finishes for cabinets etc, but the highest quality are still two-part.

If you want the exact formulated material, just give Zcorp a call. You can only shop their online site if you have a customer number, but I don't see why they wouldn't sell you some over the phone.

Re: infusion [message #36673 is a reply to message #36669 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 21:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks for the tip about no fumes, it sounds like old CA vs new CA glue; years ago they smelled a lot, created white areas quick and caused lots of heat when in contact with skin, new ones are a lot less aggressive, and even more resistant to shock and temperature.

The old resin, XLAForm, was oven based and a "polyester backboned oligomer, modified with esters of acrylic acid" per the MSDS; maybe that was the one you heard about. It blured prints and changed light colors too much, giving a yellowish tone. Also scratched easily, so if not coated things quickly became full of white lines. Maybe it was great for strong big things, but not so much for detail ones.
Re: infusion [message #36686 is a reply to message #36673 ] Sat, 15 October 2011 06:54 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I heard about Xlaform, and saw all the videos...they said that the resin doesn't change the color and is a "revolution"... And says that Shapeways use their technology...I tried to contact them.... No way, and the zcorp seller in France have all the difficulties to communicate whith them...!

Sophie

Previous Topic:Frosted Detail and Spraypaint (Also, Material Info Wiki?)
Next Topic:Painting Grey Robust

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.