H0 1/87 scale old footbridge in wsf

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 3401_deleted, Oct 13, 2011.

1. 3401_deleted
    3401_deleted Well-Known Member
    I received a great quality wsf print from Shapeways. The bridge is painted with black Tamiya Acrylic colour. I drybrushed brown paint to make the bridge look a bit more rusty...

footbridge2_sw_web.jpg

more and bigger pictures on the H0 foot bridge model page.

footbridge_sw_web.jpg

edit
    it's a quite small and intricate (~3cm width, ~16cm length) model based on a existing footbridge. The porosity of wsf helps a lot when painting this kind of model. For me, painting wsf material is a more enjoyable experience than painting "Frosted Ultra Detail".
    I'm wondering if you could offer a "Ultra Detail White Strong and Flexible" material ?
    /edit

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    Terrific model!! I'm really impressed with the level you achieved from wsf.

3. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
    That's beautiful!

Did you separate the walking surfaces from the bridge structure to make it easier to paint the parts?

What's the diameter and height of those rivets? Most of my rivets don't turn out well in WSF but I think that's because I made them too small.

4. 3401_deleted
    3401_deleted Well-Known Member
    @ GWMT: Yes, the walking surfaces are separate parts to make them easier to paint. :) If the bridge was in one part, I think painting would be near impossible.

The rivets are cylinders of 0.4 mm diameter/ 0.2mm height. Not all rivets printed out well on this model. I guess the rivets we can see were on the printer XY (horizontal) plane. On this plane, details are much sharper and accurate because of the precison of the laser beam.

5. B1lancer
    B1lancer Member
    WSF is great for rusty metal, where the surface in reality has peeling paint and pitted rust WSF recreates it well.

Nice model! :)

6. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
    I use cylinders instead of hemispheres for rivets, too. I made my rivets 0.25mm diameter and 0.25mm tall.

They printed fine on the top surface in the XY plane, kinda showed up on the bottom surface (the outer edges of the model don't print on the bottom face of WSF prints for some reason) and were missing (or were so fragile they got knocked off in post-print cleanup) on the sides.

Can you imagine embossing all those rivets on your bridge by hand in styrene? Not me....