Home »  » 3D Design » Threads?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Threads? [message #36433] Tue, 11 October 2011 18:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar dharps  is currently offline dharps
Go to all my models
Friends:
Would a female thread work for a shapeways model? I wish to have an 8-32 (major diameter about 4.2 mm) Any experience or opinion. Thanks dharps in USA
Re: Threads? [message #36434 is a reply to message #36433 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 18:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
That depends on a lot of things. Which material? Do you want the thread printed? what size threads? For printing threads in any material, the larger the better.

Check out the animation at the bottom of this page http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/full_color_sandstone

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Threads? [message #36457 is a reply to message #36434 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 03:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you for the reply.
Sorry that I wasn't specific enough. Yes, my question is if a female thread can be printed, and be usable. My material selection is Stainless Steel. As I mentioned the thread in question is 8-32, that's a major diameter of about 4.2 mm. It depends on your perspective if that is small or large. I am perfectly capable of threading a hole, post production of the model, but the Being able to "tap" this thread in a model would make Shapeways production more valuable to me.
Re: Threads? [message #36478 is a reply to message #36457 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 09:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
32 TPI is too fine for printed detail in Stainless Steel. You might get away with it in White Strong & Flexible (depending on the thread profile) and it would work ok in Frosted Ultra Detail but FUD is a bit brittle so expect stripped threads.

And alternative would be to have a hole and fit a threaded insert.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2011 09:42 UTC]

Re: Threads? [message #36500 is a reply to message #36478 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 13:15 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thank You for the advice. I am waiting for printed models with holes. I will tap a few holes and consider inserts after that.
Thanks again
PS I am making parts to be used to build harps.

Previous Topic:Errors Uploading Models
Next Topic:Hollow design filled in?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.