Threads?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by dharps, Oct 11, 2011.

1. dharps
    dharps Member
    Friends:
    Would a female thread work for a shapeways model? I wish to have an 8-32 (major diameter about 4.2 mm) Any experience or opinion. Thanks dharps in USA

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
  3. dharps
    dharps Member
    Thank you for the reply.
    Sorry that I wasn't specific enough. Yes, my question is if a female thread can be printed, and be usable. My material selection is Stainless Steel. As I mentioned the thread in question is 8-32, that's a major diameter of about 4.2 mm. It depends on your perspective if that is small or large. I am perfectly capable of threading a hole, post production of the model, but the Being able to "tap" this thread in a model would make Shapeways production more valuable to me.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    32 TPI is too fine for printed detail in Stainless Steel. You might get away with it in White Strong & Flexible (depending on the thread profile) and it would work ok in Frosted Ultra Detail but FUD is a bit brittle so expect stripped threads.

And alternative would be to have a hole and fit a threaded insert.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. dharps
    dharps Member
    Thank You for the advice. I am waiting for printed models with holes. I will tap a few holes and consider inserts after that.
    Thanks again
    PS I am making parts to be used to build harps.