Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Anybody use gmax?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Anybody use gmax? [message #36230] Sun, 09 October 2011 03:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar maketshi  is currently offline maketshi
Go to my shop
It seems like a decent modeling program, and it's free, but I haven't seen many other people working with it.

I can get .STL files by exporting .MD3, converting to .obj in lithunwrap, and cleaning up and exporting to .STL in Meshlab.

Problem is, I want to hollow out my models, and the tutorial I tried for hollowing out models with meshlab didn't produce a useable mesh when I tried to boolean subtract a hole in gmax.

in netfabb, the boolean results look good, but netfabb basic doesn't let me finalize the boolean operation, it just shows it to me, and like I said, it looks like what I want.

Gmax seems to see the inner surface as flipped.

This is the tutorial I followed:

https://sites.google.com/site/3dprintfaq/workflows/hollowing -a-model
Re: Anybody use gmax? [message #36787 is a reply to message #36230 ] Mon, 17 October 2011 16:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
maketshi wrote on Sun, 09 October 2011 03:23

It seems like a decent modeling program, and it's free, but I haven't seen many other people working with it.

I can get .STL files by exporting .MD3, converting to .obj in lithunwrap, and cleaning up and exporting to .STL in Meshlab.

Problem is, I want to hollow out my models, and the tutorial I tried for hollowing out models with meshlab didn't produce a useable mesh when I tried to boolean subtract a hole in gmax.

in netfabb, the boolean results look good, but netfabb basic doesn't let me finalize the boolean operation, it just shows it to me, and like I said, it looks like what I want.

Gmax seems to see the inner surface as flipped.

This is the tutorial I followed:

https://sites.google.com/site/3dprintfaq/workflows/hollowing -a-model

I think there is greater support for Blender in 3D Printing applications, it is also a free program. May be worth giving that a go?

Kindest Regards,

Jack
Re: Anybody use gmax? [message #36794 is a reply to message #36230 ] Mon, 17 October 2011 19:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
No experience with gmax, but you can now upload obj straight to shapeways. Do you have geometry connecting the outside geometry to the internal geometry? Shapeways software will automatically remove internal geometry that is not connected to the external geometry.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Anybody use gmax? [message #36836 is a reply to message #36794 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 08:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I figured out how my inner surface was getting flipped. I had not unchecked "Unify Normals" in the Import DXF dialog box when I was importing into gmax.

I tried several methods to generate geometry to connect the inside and outside surfaces, with no luck. Eventually, I just tried using a Boolean Union between the hole in the object and a torus.

But when I uploaded it to shapeways, the error checking algorithm filled it in solid again.
Re: Anybody use gmax? [message #36860 is a reply to message #36230 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 14:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Does it have a boolean subtract function? then you just draw a cylinder connecting them and subtract it from the geometry. It's difficult to advise not knowing the software.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Anybody use gmax? [message #36895 is a reply to message #36860 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It does have boolean subtraction, but for some reason it doesn't leave behind any geometry connecting the surfaces.

It does when I use boolean subtraction on two simple primitives, just not when I subtract a primitive from my model.

I tried doing the boolean subtraction in Blender, but it crashed. I'm getting a new video card to replace my on-board video soon. Hopefully then I will be able to use Blender.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2011 18:38 UTC]

Re: Anybody use gmax? [message #81565 is a reply to message #36895 ] Wed, 18 December 2013 06:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Freakazoitt  is currently offline Freakazoitt
Go to my shop
I have questions:

1) How to open max files in gmax?
2) How to save models as .obj ?
3) Is there better booleans for gmax than builded-in boolean? It makes wrong faces sometimes after substractions

Previous Topic:Create a human face from pictures with software, advice needed
Next Topic:Does anyone use Hexagon 2.5 by Daz Studio

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.