Home » Support » 3D Applications » Maya NURBS to Polygone
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Maya NURBS to Polygone [message #36001] Wed, 05 October 2011 22:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar Azathot  is currently offline Azathot
Go to all my models
Hi everybody,

just as a warning ahead: I'm absolutely new to 3D modeling so please bear with me if my question is incredibly stupid Wink

I'm using Maya 2012 and trying to create a DNA strand.
Because I did not have any experience I followed a guide at molecularmovies.com which used the 'Create Animated Sweep' feature to construct the helix.

After I realised that the NURBS surface wouldn't be printable I tried to correct for that by converting NURBS to Polygone.
But if I'm not mistaken my helix is still only a hollow tube instad of a massive strand as I would need.
Can anyone here help me how to fill out that tube (I tried 'fill hole' but am unsure whether or not that did the right thing) or give me a workaround to avoid this problem?

Thank you! Smile

PS: I also tried to work something out with the Helix Polygone but as I'm trying for a realistic model I couldn't really work with that (maybe only my inexperience, but still...)
Re: Maya NURBS to Polygone [message #36022 is a reply to message #36001 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 07:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Azathot,

Welcome to Shapeways! Smile

As long as your tube has closed ends it will print OK. You can check your model with NetFabb Basic (its free).

Paul
Re: Maya NURBS to Polygone [message #36026 is a reply to message #36022 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 08:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Azathot  is currently offline Azathot
Go to all my models
Hi,

thanks for the help, I'll definitely check my model with NetFabb.
Smile
Re: Maya NURBS to Polygone [message #36073 is a reply to message #36001 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 19:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Well there's you problem, Polygone (multiple disappearances?) You should be using Polygon (multiple angle) Sorry bad joke, but I use a nurb software, if your export STL (or any other acceptable file type) it automatically translates it into polygons.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Google sketchup 8 file input error
Next Topic:YouTube Tutorial: Model Grouping for 3D printing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.