Home » Support » 3D Printing » Recurring problem - Too many polygons
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Recurring problem - Too many polygons [message #2945] Wed, 11 February 2009 19:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar bvicarious  is currently offline bvicarious
Go to my shop
I've had this happen before with more complex models, but I just tried uploading a model with 237,390 triangles in the scene and Shapeways is telling me it is over the limit of 500,000. Should I send the file to someone to look at?

Also, the email says this, in part:

Quote:

Shapeways is an online service and so we have dedicated webservers set up to check and correct your models to see if they can be 3D printed. The costs of ensuring that these webservers would always work would be prohibitive at the moment if we configured our software to accept much larger models. We really want to stay affordable and so try to keep costs down for everyone where we can.

Would one possible solution to this be for Shapeways to create an offline, client-side application that we can run our files through before submitting them to the site? Let us take some of that processing time off your servers, and send clean, ready-to-print files that exceed the limits you currently have in place. Is this feasible/desirable on your end?

Re: Recurring problem - Too many polygons [message #2965 is a reply to message #2945 ] Thu, 12 February 2009 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
We have recently found some issues with our handling of collada files that are much smaller than 500K triangles, there should be a fix in place very shortly. If it is X3D or STL uploads then we're correctly detecting the triangle counts.

One thing to check with modeling software is that many report "faces", not "triangles". A lot of faces end up being decomposed to more than one triangle. Eg quads are actually 2 triangles. As such, your limit is much reduced when building non-triangle models.
Re: Recurring problem - Too many polygons [message #2967 is a reply to message #2965 ] Thu, 12 February 2009 19:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvicarious  is currently offline bvicarious
Go to my shop
Thanks for the tips, I'll upload an STL and see if that works. Maya reports 107,826 faces, 237,388 triangles so it must be the collada bug. Damn, and I really liked that format.
Re: Recurring problem - Too many polygons [message #3858 is a reply to message #2945 ] Wed, 08 April 2009 15:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ganter  is currently offline ganter
Go to all my models
Try Meshlab (it's free for the download). It has filters
for various types of triangle reduction algorithms.
They are some of the best I've seen in practice. Also,
it allows you to save as a PLY file which is much smaller
than STL (if Shapeways will take this format).

Previous Topic:Minimum dimensions workaround?
Next Topic:IsoSurface (Implicit surface)