Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » Bug Reporting » new site look and feel
Search Search  
 () 2 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
new site look and feel [message #35391] Thu, 29 September 2011 13:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
While working on my shop, I noticed a sudden update Smile

I thought it useful to separate feedback on this general site form the model page updates.

(I hope to find time to integrate the previous top request list here soon)

Current issues:

(Firefox 6.02/7.0, Win7-x64, logged in)

- Add to cart function is erratic. First time nothing seemed to happen, cart icon remained the same.
After going to the cart, it did show the items.
On the cart page I got the popup "item added to cart".
It seems so popup the cart whenever the page reloads.

When adding a second item, it does work better: icon updated and popup with contents of cart. But contents is laggin, by the fourth items it said : Total items 2

When adding a different model, the pop does not add the current item, but the item I added before. And the page sometimes reloads to a different page than the model I was on.
The actual cart actually contains the right items.

The cart popup keeps showing old random content on each reload, from several tries ago.

- Login not persistent on first page load in new browser -> not logged in, reload ->logged in

.. tbc

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2011 14:13 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: new site look and feel [message #35401 is a reply to message #35391 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 15:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I just got in and... whoa... more changes.

My wife says the header looks rather plain and the colours are different. I agree with her, but imo, less clutter at the top means more focus on the page.

Clicking on the left/righ buttons on the splash slides (upper) on the home page throws up an 'error on page' in IE8 and doesn't scroll to next or previous item.

ooo... just spotted the external shopping cart... will check that out over the next few days.

The menu header 'shop' is a little confusing (for me)... I was expecting to see my shop there, but it links to places to buy stuff - here in the UK, we say "I'm going shopping" or "I'm going to the shop", but we don't say "shop" when we mean "buy".

Mouseover a header item shows a clicky-linky hand, but nothing happens when clicked... also moving diagonally to whatever clicky-linky thing appears in the dropdown causes the dropdown to disappear if the mouse pointer strays off of the box (pet hate of mine - sorry)

[edit] prime example of clicky-linky hand on header item - clicking on 'community' should lead to the community overview page http://www.shapeways.com/community/ but doesn't... and the overview page doesn't have a link (that I can find) Sad

---> heads off to explore the rest of the changes Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2011 15:25 UTC]

Re: new site look and feel [message #35415 is a reply to message #35401 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 16:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
when in forum always shows login never loged in

worse yet. can no longer log in.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2011 16:10 UTC]

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: new site look and feel [message #35418 is a reply to message #35391 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 16:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
I keep getting logged off!

I really wish the -my models- was the first link under your screen name. I panicked this morning when I couldn't find my designs. Smile

Also, is it just my eyes or is the forum text very light?

I know it's just a few pixels, but as a web designer myself the misaligned header and logo drives me insane.

Re: new site look and feel [message #35419 is a reply to message #35418 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 16:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
nice to see shapeways is keeping up there high quality of workmanship and releasing updates full of bugs. Thank you shapeways. Can't wait to see what you do next week.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: new site look and feel [message #35421 is a reply to message #35391 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 16:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jlevine  is currently offline jlevine
Go to my shop
I work here
Virtox - the shopping cart issues should be fixed - please let us know if you see more issues.

Stop4Stuff - we're tracking the top nav quirks re: links and highlighting and we will release fixes mid-next week.

Best,
Josh

VP of Engineering | Shapeways
Re: new site look and feel [message #35423 is a reply to message #35421 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
jlevine wrote on Thu, 29 September 2011 16:51

Virtox - the shopping cart issues should be fixed - please let us know if you see more issues.

Stop4Stuff - we're tracking the top nav quirks re: links and highlighting and we will release fixes mid-next week.

Best,
Josh

Why was this ever released? Do you never learn. You need to test stuff first.

Re: new site look and feel [message #35424 is a reply to message #35391 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 17:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks! Shopping cart works more predictable but still not as it should be.

Add first item to cart : ok, popup and info is ok
Add this item second time: ok, popup and info is ok
Go to other model, add to shopping cart : popup says, 1 item total?
Is it meant to show only the last item?

All the while the cart icon does not change, only on new page does it show numbers 1/2/3 etc

Re: new site look and feel [message #35425 is a reply to message #35424 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 17:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Technoboots  is currently offline Technoboots
Go to my shop
When I'm browsing the forum and I go to log in I am then redirected to the home page rather than back to the forum page.
Re: new site look and feel [message #35426 is a reply to message #35425 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Technoboots wrote on Thu, 29 September 2011 17:28

When I'm browsing the forum and I go to log in I am then redirected to the home page rather than back to the forum page.

This has always been the case, just hit back on your browser (or backspace on the keyboard) once or twice to get back to the forum page you were viewing.

Re: new site look and feel [message #35430 is a reply to message #35426 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 17:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Not for me, previously when logging in I did it from the forum page and always returned to the forum page.
Re: new site look and feel [message #35432 is a reply to message #35430 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 17:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Technoboots wrote on Thu, 29 September 2011 17:47

Not for me, previously when logging in I did it from the forum page and always returned to the forum page.

Forum homepage or the previous forum page you were veiwing before logging in?

Re: new site look and feel [message #35437 is a reply to message #35391 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 18:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
shop4stuff: the menus closing as soon as you go out is the same issue normal interfaces had/have, and in some cases solved properly, long ago. As web keeps reinventing things, they keep on hitting the same issues and having to figure the solutions too.

mctrivia: they community are the testers, it seems. Welcome to the web 2011. They removed the pink "beta" circle in header, to make it funnier.

cadalu: yes, text is greyish now (#7C8291), rather poor contrast. It feels like the light bulb icon issue years ago (the yellow version was so faint as the grey-blue one was, so hard to see where new post were avaliable) just affecting a lot more area, and a lot more important.
Re: new site look and feel [message #35443 is a reply to message #35432 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 18:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Thu, 29 September 2011 17:54

Technoboots wrote on Thu, 29 September 2011 17:47

Forum homepage or the previous forum page you were veiwing before logging in?

I was always logging on from the forum homepage, it's a bit annoying logging in there and being redirected to the site homepage now. If it could be adjusted so nomatter what page you login from you automatically go back to the page you were on previously it would be ideal. It does that with item pages just not on any page in the forum.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2011 18:39 UTC]

Re: new site look and feel [message #35446 is a reply to message #35443 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 18:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
oh, right, ok...

Two different things... sorry I got confused with what you said & meant Embarassed

Re: new site look and feel [message #35457 is a reply to message #35446 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 19:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well, at the moment this is what's happening for me

It's a bit annoying when you are logging in to reply to a post which you are looking at as I tend to open some threads through notifications in my email.
Re: new site look and feel [message #35462 is a reply to message #35457 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 19:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Technoboots wrote on Thu, 29 September 2011 19:15

Well, at the moment this is what's happening for me

It's a bit annoying when you are logging in to reply to a post which you are looking at as I tend to open some threads through notifications in my email.

I already gave the solution to login whilst on a forum post... just hit back once or twice and you'll get there... ttfn
Re: new site look and feel [message #35476 is a reply to message #35462 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 20:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
I don't believe it!
There she goes again!
She's tidied up, and I can't find anything! Surprised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83JR2IoI8k

Wasn't there a contact page with staff email addresses?
Re: new site look and feel [message #35478 is a reply to message #35476 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 20:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
GWMT wrote on Thu, 29 September 2011 20:25

I don't believe it!
There she goes again!
She's tidied up, and I can't find anything! Surprised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83JR2IoI8k

Wasn't there a contact page with staff email addresses?

Yep, it moved, click on support on lower right of page, then the 'contact us' link mid right on the page.

Re: new site look and feel [message #35647 is a reply to message #35478 ] Sun, 02 October 2011 06:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This is related to both the new model page and site.

I prefer $, when browsing the gallery the price is shown in $, clicking through to the model page for a co-creator item shows the price in euros, clicking through further to personalise the item shows the price in $ again, inconsistent and confusing.

[edit] even on just normal models, gallery price is shwon is $, model page price is shown in euros

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2011 06:49 UTC]

Re: new site look and feel [message #35680 is a reply to message #35647 ] Sun, 02 October 2011 13:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Why is it that if I add a model to the cart I am not moved to the cart like I would expect. Worse yet there is no indication at the top of the page that the cart has anything in it. It still just shows the default symbol.

Re: new site look and feel [message #35684 is a reply to message #35391 ] Sun, 02 October 2011 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I do get the proper (very short) popup now when I add something to my cart, so something is happening, but the cart symbol itself is lagging in updates/status.

Re: new site look and feel [message #35764 is a reply to message #35684 ] Mon, 03 October 2011 09:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
In IE8.0 (WinXP), the search box at the top of the page doesn't do anything apart from let me enter text - nothing happens when I hit return or try clicking on the spy glass thingy... but it works ok in Firefox.

Re: new site look and feel [message #35819 is a reply to message #35401 ] Mon, 03 October 2011 22:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Thu, 29 September 2011 15:06

My wife says the header looks rather plain and the colours are different.

I would also say that the new colors used don't fit.
The menu color is in contrast to the blue in the shapeways icon.

Are these colors really from a color schema of matching colors?

Woody64

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
Re: new site look and feel [message #36075 is a reply to message #35391 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 19:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but on the material specific page, the link to return to all materials is misaligned outside the container and to the far right of the screen.
Re: new site look and feel [message #36076 is a reply to message #35391 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 19:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Yea, it's been that way for a while now. Most likely low on the priority list.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Shop Descriptions and the "More Info" button
Next Topic:Free Shipping

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.