Home »  » 3D Design » Many questions from a 1st time user
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Many questions from a 1st time user [message #35371] Wed, 28 September 2011 23:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar frank26080115  is currently offline frank26080115
Go to all my models
This will be my first time getting something made with 3D printing.

My design is basically a electronics enclosure, it will have buttons which will also be 3D printed

The material I will choose will probably be the black detailed plastic

I did consider another company, they had a minimum volume requirement that made it annoying to create buttons. Do you have any such requirements?

I am using SolidWorks. Which axis do I need to specify as the vertical axis? Or is this determined by your machine automatically?

Is the volume of the design calculated using the amount of model material or the model material plus the supporting material? If it is the combination of the two, is it possible to optimize the cost by putting multiple designs into one file in a compact way?

Is it better to upload each solid object as a single file? Or can I combine all the solid bodies into one file?

Thank you.
Re: Many questions from a 1st time user [message #35373 is a reply to message #35371 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 01:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
frank26080115 wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 23:33

The material I will choose will probably be the black detailed plastic.

Depending on the grade of detail you want/need, and the volume of your model, I would suggest to think about "polished White, Strong & Flexible" (respectively the black dyed pendant)... it might be cheaper, and would also offer better mechanical characteristics...

I did consider another company, they had a minimum volume requirement that made it annoying to create buttons. Do you have any such requirements?

The minimum dimensions are regulated by the material that you want... but take a look at this (e.g.) ^^

I am using SolidWorks. Which axis do I need to specify as the vertical axis? Or is this determined by your machine automatically?

Don't worry about that, they'll determinate the axis.

Is the volume of the design calculated using the amount of model material or the model material plus the supporting material? (...)

Only the amount of the model material.

Is it better to upload each solid object as a single file? Or can I combine all the solid bodies into one file?.

Today ('til 30.09.) it won't make a difference (in your prefered material, BlackDetail)... but due to the the new price structure ex 1.10. there'll be a $2.50 "handling fee" (per file) for BlackDetail... as long as they don't refuse your file, you should try to order your model in one file...

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2011 01:17 UTC]

Re: Many questions from a 1st time user [message #35376 is a reply to message #35373 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 05:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar frank26080115  is currently offline frank26080115
Go to all my models
Thanks for the quick reply, I've changed my material choice to the strong flexible plastic and placed my order.

You guys are significantly cheaper than the other company.

Previous Topic:Hollowing an object - Methods - Printing - File extenstions
Next Topic:Can i give seperate guideline for color information, instead of using *.wrl file?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.