Co|Create STL problems...

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by minisumo, Feb 8, 2009.

1. minisumo
    minisumo Member
    I've recently download the Co|Create's Personal Edition, it's 3D aimed at engineering design, but it's export appears to be flawed with regards to shapeways upload and check.

The model checks out OK but the exported STL gives a manifold problem, considering VRML the files can not be processed.

Poking around I found MiniMagics, with a view to looking at the STL file and looking for problems. It didn't report any and re-saving the file seemed to resolve the upload/manifold issues.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is there a problem with Co|Create's STL files?

best regards,
    Colin

2. cignoni
    cignoni Member
  3. chris89
    chris89 Member
    i've had all my STL exports from 3dsmax get manifold problems as well, whereas VRML works with exactly the same model.

Not sure why, could be the initial coordinate orientation of the programs vs. STL

4. minisumo
    minisumo Member
    Thanks for the tips, I'll have a look at MeshLab.

Co|Create does give a warning on the export of STL with regard to model space.

regards,
    Colin

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi,

regarding the STL files: yes, there seem to be some different 'dialects' of STL, and sometimes loading and re-exporting it from a tool like MeshLab will fix those issues.

About non-manifold errors that appear with STL but not with VRML: I find this *extemely* interesting. Could you mail an example of such a case to bart@shapeways.com so I can see what's going on there?

Thanks!

Bart

6. chris89
    chris89 Member
    sent you an email.

7. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey Chris,

hmm, this is odd. The OBJ and STL file both contain some non-manifold areas, but the VRML is fine - like you say. However, when I export the OBJ from Blender to VRML, I'm getting the same non-manifold errors. So it would seem that the Max VRML exporter somehow cleans up the mesh in the process, which would be awesome of course ;)

I don't think it's due to the orientation of the model like you suggested; this shouldn't solve non-manifold topologies.

So, in short: I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe you just got lucky with that VRML exporter?

Cheers,

Bart

8. minisumo
    minisumo Member
    I've forwarded the STL and WRML files, I hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Colin