Home » Community » It arrived! » Hangover & Sober
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon6.gif  Hangover & Sober [message #34965] Fri, 23 September 2011 12:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Finally, Hangover and Sober have arrived!

It took a few printing attempts, but I finally got a chance to shoot some pictures Smile

Here is Sober, as standalone espresso cup with a cute bulgy form:

Sober
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/6175125552_7fbcbe96c8.jpg

And it's predecessor:

Hangover!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6153/6175124958_e07afe78ae.jpg

I am very happy with the results! Very Happy

Video on model page and here

However, I think the Glazing could still be a lot better.

I am still a bit puzzled why the glazing is so difficult though, when I look at what is commercially available in ceramics, way more detail and complexity should be easily achievable.
Then again I know nothing about actually making ceramics Wink

The major thing I have learned from this project is that for the current glazing to be applied properly, is that there can be absolutely no sharp angles.
And while it does said so in the design specs for ceramics.
It turned out the minimal curve radius of 2 mm, also was not enough.

All in all, sooo freakin' cool to print in ceramics! Cool

Cheers!

edit: The topic subtile keeps disappearing?

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2011 17:12 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Hangover & Sober [message #34967 is a reply to message #34965 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 12:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Video is Up!

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2011 13:48 UTC]

Re: Hangover & Sober [message #34978 is a reply to message #34965 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 13:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Oh Virtox, The Hungover should be WAY bigger than the sober, otherwise, very cool... Cool

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Hangover & Sober [message #34985 is a reply to message #34965 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 13:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
They look very smooth, very nice prints. Hopefully the glazing will be fixed before release.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hangover & Sober [message #34986 is a reply to message #34985 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 14:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gijs  is currently offline Gijs
Go to my shop
Funny concept the hangover!

I agree that it's a pity that ceramics turn out so bold. The lack of possible detail makes it virtually impossible to create something pretty. In your concept it kind of works, although the design could be far more refined if sharper edges / thinner walls were possible.

www.studiogijs.nl
Re: Hangover & Sober [message #34993 is a reply to message #34965 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 16:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I like it a lot !

- the glazing here is way more thicker then on other designers models - unfortunately that's a roulette result..

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Hangover & Sober [message #34998 is a reply to message #34965 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 16:19 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks all Smile

Duann: Actually I prefer my hangovers small and short Wink

Mike: Yes they are very smooth, there is some very minor pitting and bumps but with minor improvements the quality should be good.

Gijs: I agree, more detail would be awesome, in this case I tried to work with the limitations, and I'm personally very fond of the "bold" look Smile

Asher: Actually the glazing on these is really thin, but the whole surface is well-coated. Also it looks like the pre-glaze was applied thinner than on other prints I have seen.

It might look a bit too bold because the cups are quite small, and I used average wall thickness of plain ceramics cups I had around the house. I forgot how much, but I will measure in soft and hardware to check how thick the glaze is applied.

But I also saw a glimpse of the initial misprints of these cups and those had way more pre-glaze and glaze applied.

Cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2011 16:29 UTC]

Previous Topic:Absolutely WOW !
Next Topic:Full Color!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.