Hangover & Sober

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by virtox, Sep 23, 2011.

1. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Finally, Hangover and Sober have arrived!

It took a few printing attempts, but I finally got a chance to shoot some pictures :)

Here is Sober, as standalone espresso cup with a cute bulgy form:

Sober
    [​IMG]

And it's predecessor:

Hangover!
    [​IMG]

I am very happy with the results! :D

Video on model page and here

However, I think the Glazing could still be a lot better.

I am still a bit puzzled why the glazing is so difficult though, when I look at what is commercially available in ceramics, way more detail and complexity should be easily achievable.
    Then again I know nothing about actually making ceramics ;)

The major thing I have learned from this project is that for the current glazing to be applied properly, is that there can be absolutely no sharp angles.
    And while it does said so in the design specs for ceramics.
    It turned out the minimal curve radius of 2 mm, also was not enough.

All in all, sooo freakin' cool to print in ceramics! :cool:

Cheers!

edit: The topic subtile keeps disappearing?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. virtox
  3. duann
    duann Member
    Oh Virtox, The Hungover should be WAY bigger than the sober, otherwise, very cool... :cool:

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    They look very smooth, very nice prints. Hopefully the glazing will be fixed before release.

5. Gijs
    Gijs Member
    Funny concept the hangover!

I agree that it's a pity that ceramics turn out so bold. The lack of possible detail makes it virtually impossible to create something pretty. In your concept it kind of works, although the design could be far more refined if sharper edges / thinner walls were possible.

6. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I like it a lot !

- the glazing here is way more thicker then on other designers models - unfortunately that's a roulette result..

7. virtox
    Thanks all :)

Duann: Actually I prefer my hangovers small and short ;)

Mike: Yes they are very smooth, there is some very minor pitting and bumps but with minor improvements the quality should be good.

Gijs: I agree, more detail would be awesome, in this case I tried to work with the limitations, and I'm personally very fond of the "bold" look :)

Asher: Actually the glazing on these is really thin, but the whole surface is well-coated. Also it looks like the pre-glaze was applied thinner than on other prints I have seen.

It might look a bit too bold because the cups are quite small, and I used average wall thickness of plain ceramics cups I had around the house. I forgot how much, but I will measure in soft and hardware to check how thick the glaze is applied.

But I also saw a glimpse of the initial misprints of these cups and those had way more pre-glaze and glaze applied.

Cheers