Puzzled

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 95955_deleted, Sep 20, 2011.

1. 95955_deleted
    95955_deleted Member
    My chess set for the Spartan side of the game Spartan Chess is still under development. For purposes of proofing the set array I have posted the Spartan piece array twice. The only difference was the piece orientation, or facing, or so I thought.

Here they are:
    Facing to side
    Facing to the front

The two set arrays have the same volume of printed material, 50.36 cubic cm.

Question: Why are the prices different with one priced at $54.27 and one at $77.04? I am puzzled.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The answer is Density discount. If you look at the bounding box (I looked at the inches) the cheaper has a bounding box of 7.2" x 1.4" x 2.8" which is a cube of 28.224". The more expensive is 6.9 x 2.6 x 2.8 which is a cube of 50.232 So for the first you get a 50% discount on all material after 20 cc because of a density higher than 10%. (first paragraph of the material description)

3. the over- riding factor is the the 1.4in and 2.6in dimensions. i would be willing to bet that if you turned all of the objects individually at arbitrary angles or didn't turn the whole group in a complete 180 turn. moral of this story- adjust for the most efficient use of space compared to the overall objects bounding box.

hey this could be a new request for SW software engineers- automatic adjustment of objects in a group that will most efficiently use the bounding box and thus the cheapest printing...

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I wouldn't say "new" lol. Auto-rotating would be nice to make objects that are oriented in a way to make them not printable, printable. It has all been suggested. It just requires a significant upgrade to something that isn't "broken" just doesn't optimize prices automatically for you. So for the foreseeable future, we'll have to do it our selves.