Shops

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by markpicone, Sep 20, 2011.

1. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    Yay, I can delete a model again!

Here's my big question. I modeled a piece using Blender that has a few colors. I want to list the default material as 'color sandstone' but all I see is 'sandstone'. Also, if I upload a model that has color, it would be cool if the model you generate from my upload showed the colors as opposed to the one color image. Right now, as far as I know, If it has color, I need to upload a rendered image to let the customers know how it'll look.

Mark

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    For your model to be orderable in Colour Sandstone, it needs to have colour... if it shows in the preview render without colour then 'Colour Sandstone' won't be an option.

I recently made three example VRML files;
    MeshLab painted Police phone box
    Vertex coloured Police phone box
    Vertex to UV mapped Police phone box

All have colour sandstone as an option and the preview render is coloured.

Full details at - https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6421&a mp;start=0&

Oh, check your normals - inside out faces will upset colouring.

3. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    Thanks a lot for the info. Is .vrml the only format that works for color?

Very interesting about the normals.

Mark

4. The "Full Color Sandstone" option is available for all my models, and my uploads were simple STL files. :neutral:

5. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    Thanks. I'm reading your thread on the subject now. Thanks for your time.

Mark

6. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    Wait...you say all your full color models were in .STL format? Is that with colored faces, not UV maps?
    And are you using Blender?

Swear, this is my last question:)
    I'm determined to get a full color sandstone in my shop today!

7. Yes, STL format... and "STL files describe only the surface geometry of a three dimensional object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes." (says Wiki^^).

But the FullColorSandstone option disappears when I add it to the buyable materials and click "update materials & pricing".

8. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    Can I email you my .blend file and tell me what isn't right?...'cause I'm not getting something right? Or send me one of your .blend files.

All I get is the option for the regular sandstone.

Mark
    mark.picone@gmail.com

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Mark, it's a tricky widget to figure out. I know I had to edit the VRML file that I exported from Blender to get it to read the map properly. Then you have to zip the vrml and the jpeg into the same zip file at upload.

10. stop4stuff
    Blender can export .obj files, Shapeways accepts .obj for colour sandstone. :)

11. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    As a test, I made a simple square cut into two, one side has a green material assigned the other side had a purple material. I even named the materials their respective 'green and 'purple'. I export it as an .obj file and upload and tried an .stl as well. All I get is a gray box and 'sandstone' as an option. Full color never appears.

Any suggestions?

12. Mhh... the upload page doesn't list obj-files as color upload.

"Textures files(GIF, JPG, PNG) are only available for color uploads(WRL,X3D,X3DB, X3DV files). "

But my Blender (2.59) is also able to export as X3D...

13. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    well...I guess I'll have to try the UV. I'll make a .jpeg and apply a UV map to the square, zip it up like it says and upload that. Maybe that'll work. I was just trying to keep it simple by applying materials without getting into texture maps.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I get a model in my shop in full color:)

Mark

If you do have a blender file that you used to upload a full color, email it to me, if you don't mind. Maybe there's something I dont have selected in the properties pant etc. Who knows:)

14. stop4stuff
    ho hum, I was sure colour OBJ were accepted, sorry I got it wrong :blush:

15. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    I got it. I ended up just using the UV map method. Exported as a .x3d, zipped up the file with the .jpeg image map and it shows up in the store in color with the full color sandstone as a material option. Whew, but still can't figure out 'face' cplowing.