Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » 3d model from screenshots out of a video game.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34641] Tue, 20 September 2011 07:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar madcowdisease  is currently offline madcowdisease
Go to all my models
Hello, I wanted to have a model made from a star ship from a video game, this would have to be done from screenshots, but I can provide as many as needed.

Here are a couple images to give you an idea https://picasaweb.google.com/107817167180078757758/Athena?au thuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJDrrta1-ILuvgE&feat=directli nk

Thank you very much.
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34642 is a reply to message #34641 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 09:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar megsempinado  is currently offline megsempinado
Go to my shop
Good day Sir,
I am interested to do this for you,
You can check my online portfolios at
artlit.deviantart.com
artlit.daportfolio.com

you can email me any images that may help at
x_blacksaint_x@yahoo.com

And how much is your budget for this?

Thank you,
Megs

3d artist philippines
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34680 is a reply to message #34641 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
madcowdisease wrote on Tue, 20 September 2011 07:55

Hello, I wanted to have a model made from a star ship from a video game, this would have to be done from screenshots, but I can provide as many as needed.

We could do this for you, but you would have to pay us $500,000 before we start to cover the costs of any copyright infringements.

Bill Bedford
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34731 is a reply to message #34680 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 22:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
BillBedford wrote on Tue, 20 September 2011 14:26

We could do this for you, but you would have to pay us $500,000 before we start to cover the costs of any copyright infringements.

Thank you for your wonderfully helpful reply, I'm glad you took time out of your day to drop by and assist me.
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34739 is a reply to message #34731 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 23:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tebee is currently online tebee
Go to my shop
madcowdisease wrote on Tue, 20 September 2011 22:01

BillBedford wrote on Tue, 20 September 2011 14:26

Thank you for your wonderfully helpful reply, I'm glad you took time out of your day to drop by and assist me.

There ain't no copyright on a 3-d object so not only is he (un)helpful he's also wrong....
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34744 is a reply to message #34739 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 00:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
tebee wrote on Tue, 20 September 2011 23:48

There ain't no copyright on a 3-d object so not only is he (un)helpful he's also wrong....

There has been at least one forum member has reported having been sent a 'cease and desist' letter in the last couple months for copying a film prop, so I suspect IP Lawers of the World inc. don't share your reading of copyright law. As for being unhelpful, 'don't try to rip off people who can afford tame lawyers' is probably the most helpful advise this guy is going to get for a long time. Though, of course, it may not be exactly what he wanted to hear.

Bill Bedford
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34747 is a reply to message #34744 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 01:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
BillBedford wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 00:53

tebee wrote on Tue, 20 September 2011 23:48

There has been at least one forum member has reported having been sent a 'cease and desist' letter in the last couple months for copying a film prop, so I suspect IP Lawers of the World inc. don't share your reading of copyright law. As for being unhelpful, 'don't try to rip off people who can afford tame lawyers' is probably the most helpful advise this guy is going to get for a long time. Though, of course, it may not be exactly what he wanted to hear.

The point is, no one asked you to come give your opinion. Espically when you peddle your opinion as factual advice.

I would appreciate it if you would not disrupt my thread any further. Thank you.
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34751 is a reply to message #34641 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 02:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
No one's trying to disrupt, they're offering advice from personal experience in an effort to keep you from ending up on the wrong end of some legal action. If you care to ignore it, that's your choice.

Someone somewhere spent time and effort to create that ship design, and the design itself is most likely copyrighted. Whether the model itself is copyrighted is a separate issue.

Point is, your "I'm right so shut up" attitude isn't going to get you any help, here or anywhere else. There's no reason to jump down our throats simply for trying to keep you from getting in trouble that's obvious to us, but maybe not so much to you.

Just my $0.02.

EDIT: Grammar fixes

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2011 02:15 UTC]

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34753 is a reply to message #34751 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 02:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Charmed_Life_Designs wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 02:14

No one's trying to disrupt, they're offering advice from personal experience in an effort to keep you from ending up on the wrong end of some legal action. If you care to ignore it, that's your choice.

Someone somewhere spent time and effort to create that ship design, and the design itself is most likely copyrighted. Whether the model itself is copyrighted is a separate issue.

Point is, your "I'm right so shut up" attitude isn't going to get you any help, here or anywhere else. There's no reason to jump down our throats simply for trying to keep you from getting in trouble that's obvious to us, but maybe not so much to you.

Just my $0.02.

EDIT: Grammar fixes

I do not see where I ever claimed to be right, or even disupited his claims. I am certainly not jumping down anyone's throat.

I am not going to spend my time explaining the legalities of my project with people who are not interested in helping. If there is anyone who would like to take on my project, but is concerned about copyrights can discuss that with me privately.
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34754 is a reply to message #34747 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 02:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
i have heard that straight copying of 3d is a slippery slope at best.

now if you were to extract the data straight from the video game and then try to sell a print then i think it would be a direct violation.

but since you are asking for a modeler then i can imagine that this isn't what you are asking for and should be able to find someone that can approximate the shape of the object.

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34756 is a reply to message #34754 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 02:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
There is another thread on the first page about breen/dominion ships. Both those and the ship from my game are from CBS. Why aren't we warning that person?

But since apparently this is a big issue,

All I am looking to give someone a model of their ship as a gift, like the figure prints that world of Warcraft offers. But i need a 3d model to print. If this is not what this site is for, just say so.
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34757 is a reply to message #34641 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 02:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No one will sue you if the model is a private print - but if you offer it for sale on shapeways it will be terminated.

These 3d prints are from a popular game called W.o.W and they are not offered for sale - therefore i can design them and print one copy for my private use. (they were a proof of concept of my easy sculpting technique idea , i dont play with them Very Happy)

Goblin

http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/241979/photos/photo38120.jpg

Dwarf
http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/241978/photos/photo38117.jpg

I can design your Defiant ship but i dont have time Rolling Eyes

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34774 is a reply to message #34756 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 10:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
madcowdisease wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 02:52

All I am looking to give someone a model of their ship as a gift, like the figure prints that world of Warcraft offers. But i need a 3d model to print. If this is not what this site is for, just say so.

Sorry but what you are asking is dangerous from a designers point of view. While you say you only want one copy, there is no guarantee that some time in the future you may change you mind or that the 3D file won't fall into the hands of someone who might want to produce thousands of copies.

There are plenty of people here who can help you produce your own 3D files, but it is not a good idea to ask someone else to do the work for you because of the risk involved.

Bill Bedford
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34775 is a reply to message #34774 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 10:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
BillBedford wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 10:16

madcowdisease wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 02:52

Sorry but what you are asking is dangerous from a designers point of view. While you say you only want one copy, there is no guarantee that some time in the future you may change you mind or that the 3D file won't fall into the hands of someone who might want to produce thousands of copies.

There are plenty of people here who can help you produce your own 3D files, but it is not a good idea to ask someone else to do the work for you because of the risk involved.

Then how do you explain why there are so many star trek models for sale in the shapeways.com gallery, why you can find a hundred different models in Google warehouse. Why are you not warning modelers in other star trek related request threads?

Let myself and the modelers who are interested worry about the legal issues. We don't need your legal opinion.
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34793 is a reply to message #34775 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 14:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
madcowdisease wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 10:31

Then how do you explain why there are so many star trek models for sale in the shapeways.com gallery, why you can find a hundred different models in Google warehouse. Why are you not warning modelers in other star trek related request threads?

Maybe they have permission from the copyright holders
Maybe they they are only producing for their own collections
Maybe they have indemnified any third-party designer for breaches of copyright.

What they are not doing is enticing people to copyright infringements.

Bill Bedford
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34796 is a reply to message #34757 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 15:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
dizingof wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 02:55

No one will sue you if the model is a private print - but if you offer it for sale on shapeways it will be terminated.

Does commissioning a private print constitute a sale?

Bill Bedford
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34797 is a reply to message #34796 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 15:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
BillBedford wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 15:04

dizingof wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 02:55

Does commissioning a private print constitute a sale?

An infringement of copyrights in this 3D printing era is when you decide to mass produce a copyright design for commercial purposes

Anyways, when in doubt better email support@shapeways.com

Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34800 is a reply to message #34641 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 16:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
One copy is still infringement, it's just that you are such small fish, the labor to address it is simply not worth it for the studio. You will not be sued for $500,000 for asking someone to make a model. That is a silly attempt at intimidation that only works on Freshman college students. Selling a copyrighted design is not legal though, and if the model did end up being distributed and it could be proven (by examining forum logs, for example), you would be opening yourself up to legal action. We should all be aware of this as modelers and not violate someones rights for a couple bucks.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #34804 is a reply to message #34793 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
BillBedford wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 14:09

madcowdisease wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 10:31

Maybe they have permission from the copyright holders
Maybe they they are only producing for their own collections
Maybe they have indemnified any third-party designer for breaches of copyright.

What they are not doing is enticing people to copyright infringements.

So you are saying we don't know their legal situations, so we can't make any judgments.

You don't know the legal facts of my projects, so please stop with your un-informed non-sense.

And by the way still does not explain why you aren't harassing other modeling request that are " enticing people to copyright infringement"
Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #35071 is a reply to message #34641 ] Sun, 25 September 2011 17:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I just saw this Defiant ship on main gallery page

http://www.shapeways.com/model/120643/1_7000_defiant.html?gi d=mg

Re: 3d model from screenshots out of a video game. [message #35074 is a reply to message #34804 ] Sun, 25 September 2011 18:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hiya madcowdisease,

I'd be willing to create your model for you if'd care have a legal document drawn up indemnifying me from any design patent/rights/copyright infringements. If it helps, I'm in the UK.

Actually, I'm going to have to withdraw my offer. After checking up on UK IP law, it turns out that I may be breaching UK law if paid for creating a 3D model file of an item that already has IP protection... creating such a file for personal, non-commercial use is ok though and so is sharing such a file for others to use for non-commercial personal use.

An interesting read as to the current state of UK IP law regarding 3D printing is S Bradshaw, A Bowyer and P Haufe, "The Intellectual Property Implications of Low-Cost 3D Printing", (2010) 7:1 SCRIPTed 5, http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/script-ed/vol7-1/bradshaw.asp (see 5.3)

Cheers,
Paul

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2011 11:16 UTC]

Previous Topic:Solidworks designers?
Next Topic:need Breen ship/Dominion ships

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.